Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oem Vs Obx Pulley/timing Gear Weights

Old 08-14-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, i swapped out all of my oem pulleys and the timing gear for everything of the same that obx offers. first off, i would just like to say that i was super impressed with this obx stuff. the obx rad hoses kinda dissapointed me. they fit, but it was a bit awkward and required trimming, not to mention they didnt include the 90 elbow. all of this stuff was fantastic quality though, and fit great. the only problem i did have is that i think i had to hone out either the cam gear hole or the water pump pulley hole a little bit with a dremel. cant remember which one, but i know its not both. if its a big deal for you then you honestly need to pick up a new hobby. wink1.gif

so the pulleys. the obx pulleys include the crank, power steering, and the outer, larger water pump pulley. the PS pulley is SPLINED and V-BELT. the outer, larger water pump pulley(Water pulley directly connected to the crank pulley) is RIBBED. it has 4 bolts holding it to the water pump so splined vs. smooth is not an issue. the crank is underdrive, while all the others are stock size. i used a 32" belt for the ac to crank and a 33.2" belt for the crank/water/alt.

the obx timing gear is adjustable and the oem is not. when you get it make sure to tighten the allen bolts before putting it on, or your timing will start to adjust itself slightly when you run your engine.

OEM
crank = 3lbs, 15.4oz
PS = 9.2oz
Water = 1lb, .8oz
Timing Gear = 16oz

OBX
crank = 9.8oz
PS = 5.0oz
Water = 9.6oz
Timing Gear = 14.4oz

Jspeed thread by REDZ here.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Good job with the weighing. fing02.gif I'm gonna add that to the weight reduction thread.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

IT would have been nice to put them up in the same weight measurements focker. LOL