Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

O2 sensor cable

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default O2 sensor cable

I went to a local muffler shop and talked to a guy about header installation. Before getting into CAT topic, I told him that he need to extend my car's O2 sensors. The thing is that he said that he don't have materials in his shop, and I might need to buy a sensor (I guess he was referring to O2 sensor extension cable). He was son of the owner, so he might not know everything. I still need to talk to the owner of the shop. However if I have to buy O2 sensor cable, is there any precaution I should take? (lke which O2 sensor type to buy)

And most importantly, right after I told this guy that header installation requires removal of first CAT, he started to talk about crap like it is totally illegal, he might have to pay fine ($2,500), and possibly shut down the shop. Is this true? Or is this guy just talking s##t?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Alot of states follow California emissions and have strict rules about altering exhausts. Some shops will get fined, but the chances are slim to it actually happening. You just have to find someone who is willing to take the chance and do the work.

Just extend the sensor yourself and make sure it can reach where your current 2nd O2 sensor is at. Your 2nd o2 sensor will go behind the 2nd cat. I suggest you go somewhere else though because if they are giving you a fit already... its a bad sign.

If you cant do the wiring take it to a stereo or electric shop,... they should be able to do it,.... all you have to do is add additional wire to make the cable longer.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, in several states the shops will get a steep fine and/or lose their business license for removing emissions equipment.

Here it's even worse. If you bring a vehicle in and they find that a cat is not working they cannot let you leave with the car unless they replace the cat...at your cost of course.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i sware i need to make a DIY on those wires

you DONT need to extend them at all the harness holds alot of the wiring you just need to pull back the plastic loom and it will give you enough space to move the wire to the rear of the engine

also if you dont like that idea enough the rear o2 sensor wiring is longer than the front you CAN run a rear o2 sensor in the first bung

so essentially my recommendation would be to buy 2 rear o2 sensors (bosch makes ours)
pull back some of the loom on the front o2 sensor
put 1 sensor before and 1 sensor after the cat

IT WILL RUN JUST FINE believe me i did it for YEARS

and as for the cat, as long as its a 50 state legal obd2 cat they cant ticket you for it there is NO rule stating there has to be 2 cats on your vehicle