Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

No More Idling?! 0_o

Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. As most of yall know i've got a new tib.. or should i say new old tib? : )

Anywho.. on the third day "after the fact" my tranny went on me again. Here i couldn't help it - i was jsut laughing.

Anyway, got it fixed again(guy didn't realize - aparently - that it was a different car)... and car was IDLING horribly.. barely pumping RPMs, when i was applying gas could barely make it over 3K and when i was before tranny was shifting has a horrible vibration...

But today i did an oilchange...(funny eh?)... and it seems that tib got a second breath..

It is acting like none of my two tibs did...
So my question is : could all those slow-pokings and low RPM ranging be caused by a BLACK oil.. ?

i know - stupid Q.. but still...: )
Old 03-17-2006, 01:30 AM

That would be the well documented hamster problem.

You see, the 2.0L beta is powered by 20 hamsters running inside their hamster wheels. What happens is that the hamster in wheel # 13 near the center of the engine, gets his foot caught in the wheel and he starts spinning around and around, stuck inside his wheel. His flailing body extends into the neighboring wheel knocking the next hamster off his cycle and causing him to get stuck in the same manner as #13. This starts a chain reaction of sorts and before you know it, 13 of your 20 hamsters are all stuck inside their wheels, just flopping around!

This causes the car to stall/die when you let off the clutch. The reason could barely get to 3000 rpm, was because the hamsters were scurrying around and freeing themselves, and then getting back into running formation. The vibration you felt is actually the 19 other hamsters yelling and screaming and b**** slapping hamster #13 for causing such a mess.

Once all the hamsters are back in formation and have caught their breath, the car operates normally again.

There is no known fix for this problem, Hyundai refuses to acknowledge it's actually a problem. They should have used a rat or a guinea pig or something in wheel #13, something more substantial and less likely to get stuck.

Good luck with this, generally it's a rare occurrence. Be sure to document when it happens and contact Hyundai USA if it becomes persistent!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

doode random whats with the hampsters?

kinda like your gay hampster vtec lol

lmao.gif
Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

lmao.gif lmao.gif lmao.gif
Random You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Loyen, maybe that oil was corn oil and was there forever?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Heh, that wasfriggin hillarious.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 AM

um...yeah..

note to self to not ask any questions here... sad.gif 02.gif
Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

To answer your question.

No.

Go take a look at your engine bay and report back.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 AM

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LMAO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh crap this beats the gay hamster explaination
ahahahhahahahah

btw dude.. if your oil fixed your problem, you REALLY need to take care of your car more. Make sure you change oil regurlarly 3k-5k
Old 03-17-2006, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

QUOTE (Loyen @ Mar 17 2006, 05:14 PM)
note to self to not ask any questions here... sad.gif 02.gif

nah...

Is it firs oil change you did?
Maybe that oil was there forever?

I recommend you to change all fluids (tranny, brake, p/s, clutch, maybe blinker).

Also check spark plugs.

I would highly recommend you to change all belts.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Using certain aftermarket oil filters causes rough idling. Someone messed up when they tried to make money off Hyundai owners by making oil filters. You need to use GENUINE HYUNDAI oil filters to be sure you don't get a bad one.

Changing your oil should be done every 3K miles as stated earlier in this thread. You should make sure you do not use oil additives unless they're actually needed. Ensure you are using the oil from your user manual, use the proper oil for your climate.

When performing and oil change at 3k miles you need to replace each hampster because of our agressive gearing they actually have to run alot more then 9000 miles between wheel lubrication procedures.