Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

ngk plug wires

Old 04-13-2002, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ngk plug wires

hey guys, does anyone here got NGK plug wires? am thinkin of getting them from NOPI. theyre only 39 bucks US. i think its a good deal but i dont if these is any better than my stock or should for more expensive ones like the one in SR.thanx for your input later.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

They are marginally better than stock, but nothing huge.

The SR wires or Magnacores are MUCH thicker and higher quality than stock or NGK's.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:37 AM

What's stock wire's diameter?
Old 04-14-2002, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

SilverTibby:
What's stock wire's diameter?
about 5-6mm
Old 04-14-2002, 06:25 AM

So exactly what will better plug wires do. Is the increase over the stock wires worth the money you'll be paying for them.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:16 AM

what would really be the point of changing the wires?
what about changing the plugs and the wires or the spark plugs rather than the wires? what would be the difference.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:27 PM

am not sure bout the diameter of the ngk wires but i know that if i changed wires and the plugs it will increase acceleration and better start up. why would they produced hi-per plug wires and plugs, it will only be for these reasons.

am just looking to changed wires cuz ab changed the plugs already. i went for bosch platinum, ill just see the diff when i got the wires. wink
Old 04-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Okay. Before everyone get's all excited about installing 80mm sparkplug wires...

The outside diameter of the sparkplug wire is one part of the story.

In general, the "thicker" spark plug wires have thicker insulation. This generally means they will last longer, and will be more resistant go going bad (arcing).

Also...in general, the "thicker" spark plug wires ahve a thicker internal core to actually do the work of conducting the electricity. This usually means less electrical energy lost due to resistance, and more spark at the plug.

All of that being said...Spark plugs DO NOT MAKE HP OR TORQUE. If your stock wires are bad, and allowing electricity to jump between wires or jump to the block/head, then replacing them with ANY wire that is good, will regain the lost performance. The only benefit of "expensive" wires is that they should last longer, and in general, are made of higher quality materials.

Do NOT fall for crap like "direct hit" or "nology" spark plug wires. The "capacitor in the wire" theory is CRAP. I've had a set and can tell you they LOOSE HP and Torque. My set is available for sale if anyone wants to try them. At the last Nissan SE-R Dyno day we were a part of every car with the Nology wires LOST a minimum of 2 hp. Some lost as much as 8 Hp.

In regards to spark plugs, please do a search, this has been covered IN DEPTH time and time again, and there is a WEALTH of information on this forum on the pros and cons of various different spark plugs (platinum, Copper, Irridium...etc..etc..etc..)
Old 04-23-2002, 12:46 PM

When i went to change my plugs for the first time. I had baught the same plugs. The bosch platinum. My plugs lasted like a week before they went bad in my elantra. I replaced those with NGK plugs and haven't had a spark problem since.