Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Next Upgrade to make??

Old 01-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Upgrade to make??

ok, i have intake, header, cat-back exhaust, hi flow cat, NGK iridium plugs, and magnecore wires, stage 3 clutch kit, short shifter, and ground kit. I was going to upgrade my ignition to the Programmable DIS-2 (PN6212) but i have decided to hold off on that until i really need it. So my question is what upgrade should i do next, i was thinkn of getting the Air Ram intake Manifold, BBTB, and doing a S-AFC II. Do yall think that is the next step? This car will be turbo in about 8 months, i am just trying to set up a strong base. Will all that flow be too much for my engine right now?

All that is going to be done in the next 3-4 weeks if i do it. Just so you know what my plans are to help you out with helping me out........ Plan on changing pistons to 8.5:1 compression pistons, 268 or 264 degree cams, Ferrea Valves, upgrade my springs, adding UR underdrive pulley, cam gears, and the programmable DIS-2, and Fidanza lightened flywheel, and last but not least adding the custom built turbo kit. all this will be over the next 8 months.....

So please help me out guys, should i do the air ram intake mani, bbtb and s-afc II next? what will happen when i do, will it help or hinder me until i get my turbo setup?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 PM

Getting the new IM, BBTB, and SAFC2 will definatly not hinder you until you get the turbo. If anything it will make the transition smoother (SAFC2 already setup once) and faster (BBTB and IM will drasticly increase flow with turbo). You will not lose any power by having these things done to a N/A engine. You will feel some gains. What TB are you looking at getting since you will want something larger that the rSide adjustable for the turbo?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:06 PM

thanks for the quick response, um i was looking at the rside (70mm) or there is a 65mm one also on kspec(planning on getting that bored out more if possible)

i would prefer the Rside one because its 70 mm and i would get the intake manifold bored out to 70mm to match. There is an Rside BBTB and Air Ram intake Manifold on ebay that are both matched at 70mm. that was also my plan!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Sounds like you have it all spec'd out. Make sure to let us all know how the turbo works for you! You said it was a custom built kit. I guess you had a local shop do it or is it a Speed-Factor kit?

Depending on how you cash is I would definatly try to pickup that 70mm rSide one. Unless of course you can get confirmation that the tigerlilly one can be bored up. Also remember that the AirRam IM is either 68 or 69 mm so if you get the 70mm you will need to have the IM bored up.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 PM

Yeah im half owner in a shop with my best friend, right now its a weekend kinda thing, we can do anything except Dyno a car and paint a car, he is actually in the process of learning to paint(he is a god with body work, his dad owns a body shop so he has been working in one all his life) Texas Underground Tuning is the name of it. We are in the process of getting the name registered and everything. So it will be the first custom Texas Underground Tuning turbo kit.

i read through your list of mods on your cardomain.com page. and i got a couple of questions for you. when i put the S-afc II, i was planning on putting the Walbro 255 lph pump too and what rrfpr should i use and what other items do i need to complete my fuel system setup? i wasnt gonna upgrade my injectors until i did the internals and the turbo kit all at once?

i really appreciate the help man!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Most people around here use either the Vortech SFMU or Cartech RRFPR. I personally went with just a FPR because I havnt decided on a future tuning path. The Vortech SFMU is nice because it will completly replace your stock FPR. To do that you will need a fitting to go on your fuel rail, some stainless hoses (I used a 3' -6an to (I forget the hose size on the other end) and a 14" -6an to -6an), and a fuel pressure gauge. Overall it wasnt hard to do. Just a pain in the a$$ because the two stainless lines leaked and I had to get them replaced twice! You can do the 255 pump and the RRFPR without doing the SAFC as long as you set it to the stock settings (37-38 psi with the intake hose and 44-45 PSI without). But as soon as you upgrade the injectors you need something to control those babies so you will need to SAFC. Hope that helps some.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:36 PM

The safc-II is a good unit but its popularity hides a lot of other, often better or more complete solution. My preference would be toward an SMT6 unit.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM

yeah that helps alot!!

Do i need to upgrade my fuel system if i put the Air Ram intake manifold and the BBTB? or is it safe to run it on the stock fuel system like that with the upgrades that i already have. Cuz if it is then i will just order the Air Ram Intake Manifold, BBTB, UR underdrive pulley, and Fidanza Cam gears and hold off on the fuel system till after those 4 upgrades.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Well I think better than that is the eManage. If you get the complete system including the Proflect E-01 then you also have a full boost controller all in one system. You cant really ask for more than that! Timing, A/F management, and Boost control!

Edit-

Your stock fuel system is fine. The only reason I did mine was because I was bored and wanted something else to work on smile.gif
Old 01-10-2005, 02:46 PM

i planned on using the S-AFC 2 until i turboed it and then was gonna change over to the emanage then and just sell the s-afc 2 off at that point. And trust me i will be getting the whole setup for that. I love that module, just dont wanna dish out a 1000 bucks right now when i dont have to....lol

ok, so i guess i got the answer to my questions. thanks guys, i will be ordering my air ram intake manifold, UR underdrive pulley, and Cam gears tonight or tomorrow. As for the throttle body, i gotta wait cuz i dont know where else to get it from other then kspec, and they are *out of stock* on those 70mm throttle bodies! i guess i will see if i can get that tigerlily one bored out to 68 or 70mm!

thanks again