Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

New tricks.

Old 09-06-2001, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tricks.

Last night I went to the race track and see an 97' Elantra making times of 15.4 in the quarter mile. Later I ask to the owner what he do to make that car run so fast with only gas. He told me that he advance the ignition a couple of degrees I don't now how but I ask him and he told me that is top secret, (puertoricans like to create crazy things), the only prove is that the car is running really fast. I check the car for nitrous or turbo but I don't find anything. The only modifications that I see were header, intake, custom exhaust system. There is something to consider and is that the boy go to the race track every night that open so he have a lot of experience. My tibs make 15.78 with my crazy modification like the one that I post in this section a couple of weeks ago called FREE POWER. Someone say that was a great mistake but work for me.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:43 AM
Red

He was likely telling you a lie, unless he has a programmable ECU in the car (UniChip, Haltec, Motec, SDI, TecII, etc) or he has an Apexi S-ITC unit.

The BETA motors work on a distributorless ignition system. You cannot adjust the ignition timing by any external means, it must be modified by some sort of computational change either in the ECU itself, or an outboard device that alters the cam angle sensor readings.

If you saw an intake, header and exhaust, then he's likely already capable of doing high 15's. Just think of the "invisible" mods, such as an overbored throttle body, ported intake manifold, reworked cylinder head or a cam swap and you have sufficient equipment to propel an Elantra/Tiburon into the high 14's.

I should know, because if you look at my engine bay, all you'll see is the typical intake/header/exhaust. Only after I break off a 14.82 in Wichita Kansas do you realize that I have a few more goodies inside.

-Red-
Old 09-10-2001, 05:44 AM

Random or Red, it is possible to have better acceleration by working with the crank and camshaft sensors. I know that this trick is working with the Mitsubishi Mirage 1.8L SOCH engines and they are running very well with that trick.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:31 AM
Red

I do know what you're talking about, but we do not have the same ability with our motors.

In the 4G6x lineup (mitsu 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0 motors) the ignition timing is based off the cam angle sensor on the intake cam. The cool thing is, on these motors you can "adjust" the angle sensor, which will adjust the ignition timing too. It works very well, and also can help those 4G63 turbo folks run more boost because they can retard a bit of timing.

The cam angle sensor on the BETA is also used to calculate ignition timing, but we cannot modify our sensor angle. It's stuck in a single place, and it stays there unless you want to make some rather serious changes to the cylinder head or cam.

It would be less expensive to buy an APEXi S-ITC unit ($250 if I remember correctly) to adjust timing rather than the other options I posted earlier (Haltech, UniChip, Motec, SDI, TecII, etc)

-Red-