Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

New ECU under development... long

Old 05-02-2002, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ECU under development... long

Looks like there is another ECU option that looks very promising.

http://ackthud.com/shawnfogg/fuelupgrade.htm

Shawn is a friend of mine from the BMW world. (I also have a turbocharged Z3).

As he states, the Power Commander III is special in that it modifies the fuel injector signal outbound and not the MAF / TPS / MAP inbound. Also it has alot more points of input than the usual high / low settings offered in other products.

It will require some development but the guys at the shop are very very excited about this product. First of all we are the only distributor for Dynojet products to include the PC III in Korea. The unit is relatively inexpensive. It has alot of technical advantages. Bolt on turbo systems are taking off in Korea and we make the exhaust manifold and are the sole distributor for Garrett turbos. This will fit in nicely with a set up. We will get a PC III shipped in and try to get it set up with the Hyundai Betas.

Some of you may have noticed that Shawn used it with TPS but the PC III can be used with MAP or MAF signals as the input. Also the PC IIIr can control ignition timing. This maybe exactly what the doctor order in terms of a piggyback ECU for bolt on applications.... broad fuel and timing control, relatively inexpensive, output modifications only, should be OBD II compliant, laptop modified, and should be a complete bolt on with the harness into the stock ECU.

Unfortunately for you guys with the MAF Betas, you may have to wait. We will be working on the MAP Betas first, then MAP Alphas.

I will let you guys know as it develops,

Cheuk
Old 05-02-2002, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Tiburon GT

Sounds very interesting!!!
And it's good that I have a MAP BETA.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:35 AM

Cheuk

Will there be plans for N/A engines as well, or mostly F/I?

If plans go in for N/A will we see any ECU upgrades for the Delta V6 since we are limited to mostly doing N/A upgrades?

If you look at how popular 'chipping' your VW, Audi, BMW people are seeing around 7-12 hp gains. It would be nice to pay as you said an inexpensive upgrade. Especially looking at the number of V6's out here in North America, people knowing now that F/I isn't an option, N/A will be. So when you put everything together, i/h/e/throttle body/intake manifold should put you over 200 whp. Then chip it and your past that. Probally looking at 260hp.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:50 AM

The Power Commanders are geared for 4 cyl because it was developed for motorcycles. But NA setups should be easy enough using TPS vs fuel injector duty cycle. It maybe a little hairly for multi throttle setups because they are really sensative to minute changes in TPS position and the PC III may not have enough points at higher TPS positions.

I don't expect anything for the V6's but after the work on the Hyundais, I maybe using this system for my BMW I6 engine... that is PC III x 2 running in a 3 cyl mode.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I have experience with the devices on motorcycles.

The Power Commanders have a great reputation(when setup properly) in the Motorcycle world, but of course, they only work on fuel injected MC's and most are still using carbs. The more advanced units also adjust timing (for models with ECU controled ignition).

Good luck Cheuk!
For those of you who want to read more on the PC lineup.

Now if we could only get Dynojet(powercommander) to make car specific applications, that would ROCK! (the units come with motorcycle specific maps in addition to being customized for the sensors/injectors on each motorcycle).
Old 05-05-2002, 02:13 AM

The PC III has four injector drivers. It can use TPS, MAP or MAF. It will drive high ohm injectors upto stock injector limits. Going with a 2.5 bar MAP sensor along with injectors 2x stock size should give a rough equvialent. The PC III can directly change injector pulse +/- 100% this should be able to make the adjustments. Remember that the ECU only sees 0-5v as the range for the MAP sensor whether it is 0-1.15 bar or 0-2.5 bar... it just sees voltage.

The concerns are... does the MAP vs Fuel have enough points for fine control... can it control the ignition? Even if it can't control the ignition, it still maybe good enough for bolt on turbo application. I believe that the timing is controlled by intercepting the input signal to the ECU and modifying it... not at the output... so an ignition booster should not be necessary. Still waiting on the wiring diagram to confirm.

The big advantages I see is that it has many more points than any other piggyback ECU, It should be a very simple bolt on, no "tricking" the ECU.. resulting in unwanted advanced timing, should be OBD II compliant with no serious changes in long term fuel trim.

I am still waiting on a wiring diagram and a PC IIIr. Should have some work done by next week.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:14 AM

We will probably do most of the tuning with a wide band O2 sensor and an open stretch of highway. Then some ignition work and final touches on the dyno. Should be able to be 95% on with a base map and wide band O2 sensor runs.

Does the $120 device change the output signal of the injectors? That is the strong point of the PC III, I don't know of a single other piggyback that alters injector pulse this way. It's hard to say how much it will cost. We still don't have a figure on how much Dynojet will sell us the units in bulk. My guess is that we will sell it for about the same price as the S AFC. Is the unit you are talking about the Unichip?