Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Need New Spark Plugs, Worth Upgrading?

Old 01-23-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

hey guys, well while idling every few seconds the car shacks pretty bad, you can hear it too, and just in general it has a rough idle, so figured i should be replacing the spark plugs.

now my question is, what kind of spark plugs should i go with? and what kind of benifit will i get using them over the oem ones?

and about ignition wires, if im replacing the spark plugs, should i be replacing these too? and once again, whats the benifit upgrading to them?

thanks alot, i tried searching but couldnt really come up with any answers
Old 01-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Plug Wires - Go with PRD wires. A lot of people like them here.

Plugs - I always go with the copper 99 cent a peice ones from Pep-boys. They are the BEST ones to go with as long as you change them somewhat often. Id say get the cheap copper ones and change them every few oil changes. Im sure you hear a lot about the platnium and iridium plugs that last "forever". Dont get those. They cost a lot and although they do last much much longer than copper plugs, they perform worse. Your gonna get the best possible spark with copper.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

PRD wires for sure, from www.prdonline.com

For plugs, get the NGK's that Faithofadragon is always talking about. Pregapped and the right temp, great plugs for CHEAP.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

what about the NGK Plugs from ebay? i think i will buy some prd's if they go well with our cars, but OP told me NGK wires at the track proved to be worse than stock.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Just think about what you just said.

Spark Plug Wires proved to be worse than the stock ones at the track.

How does one quantify that??? No spark plug wire is going to change performance THAT much. I think I've got a set of OEM wires, a set of NGK wires and a set of PRD wires here, I'll test them if someone tells me what to do.

Anyways, if you can find the same NGK's, sure, but they prolly wont be as cheap. PM Faith to see what the other ones were.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Just don't expect the plugs and wires to change things. They might, but they might not. My idle has always been a little rough on this car, and it has new plugs (gapped correctly) and wires.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

hoime dump all thoughs of ebay drillsergeant.gif ... get you some ngk's

i am running stock wires i just change them every 3 oil changes..you can have the best wires but if your engine has a weak ground, you wont see anything...

offtopic.gif
i am going out on a limb here, and guys corect me if i am wrong. how do i say this?? eveyone know that cars run on a 12- system and the spark plugs are in more or less grounded in the block. and the tibby only has one ground wire and it off the tranny and the starter.. if you make multi grounding points would that not make a better spark??? you know what i am saying "i hope" to do this i used 4gadge stereo amp wire and grounded the head, to the body, the coil pack to the body and the intake and the exhaust mainafold are also grounded. basic electronics right?

could it be that the spark wires are only as good as your grounding that you provided?

I am just trying to look at all angles

any thoughts

"This is not a hijack"

i just order prd's Red they better be good or no sponge bob pantys for you LOL
Old 01-24-2006, 11:31 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

if it dosn't work try increasing your idle by about 50-100 rpm. i took mine to the high range and it stopped at about 800 RPM.

the screw is under a little cap to the front of the air intake on the throttle body.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:16 PM

PRD Wires= Teh Win.
Now for plugs sure the copper ones are ok for daily driving but if you ever get on your car there is going to be alot of excess fuel that you wont burn. Copper scorches real easy as do platnum. You just wont get a good steady consestant spark with them. I recomend the NGK or Denso iriduim plugs. Yeah there expensive but you dont have to change them verry often. And if you ever do a major upgrade like a turbo or nos then yeah youll want the iridium. I run Denso in my car and they are the shit. there like $12 a piece but its well worth it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

NGK V-power coppers.. they are the shi!t