Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

"name That Part" (evap Purge Solenoid Valve)

Old 11-29-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone tell me what the part is where the arrow is pointing. thats the part on my car that has been making that annoying ticking sound.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Evaporative emission canister purge solenoid valve.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 AM

would that be the reason im getting the 0446 code- evap vent control circuit?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

P0446

Evap. emission control system canister close valve permanently closed

Evaporative Emission Control System

This is what Hyundai Service Technology says about that code. You might want to look through that site to find the troubleshooting information for that code. Although the part you've shown is part of that system it's not the one that the code seems to indicate is a problem but it could be which is why it would be a good idea to follow the recommended troubleshooting steps.

I think it's somewhat normal for that solenoid valve to tick especially when it's cold.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

And a P0441 is that this valve is stuck open. I would imagine it being closed all the time that your gas tank never is venting fumes to the engine to burn off. Mine is stuck open (along with ever glowing CEL light) so now anytime i get gas, its a b**** of a time to start as the fumes are all pushed into the engine and i have to crank the car for a good 3-4 seconds. Good news is that its not a critical component for the car to run, it just makes the air nicer to breathe by not venting fumes.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

You have a rev A tiburon. You need to do the evap canister removal (actually, you, or someone else, already did the removal, they just didn't T the hoses together and stick the solenoid back in there, that's why you have the CEL). The link to this DIY was always on HP.com, but it's not there anymore. I wonder if someone has it saved....it really sucks that it's gone.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^ i will argue that T connecting everything together is not good. also we've discovered that evaporative emissions is monitored by a drive cycle that you have to perform and it's far more complicated than just a plug it in and the lamp going off. the reason the CEL didn't come on is because the computer was still going by its last drive cycle before modification. you have to perform the cycle in order for the car to properly read and perform. the reason the CEL lamp went back off after the T mod, you reset the computer and the CEL light won't come on because the Evap system is OFF "pending DTC". i don't think "Pending DTC" has an OBD code but it will still fail emissions.

it all has to do with fuel tank pressure, running rich vs. lean, performance of the car as well.

that part is the purge solenoid valve. you can either replace it, or clean it. you can find this website very useful: instructions on on how to clean it

i might be wrong in this whole thing maybe you guys know more than i do, but my friends uncle who worked 17+ years for lexus ASE confirmed this all to me. you can find more information about this discussion: here
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Nov 29 2007, 03:27 PM)
The link to this DIY was always on HP.com, but it's not there anymore. I wonder if someone has it saved....it really sucks that it's gone.

i put that DIY in the FAQ thread. Post #6