Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Name the Engine problem

Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name the Engine problem

Alright here's what happened to my car.

2-3 weeks ago: Exhaust installed, O2 sensors had to be moved and might have been rewired, not sure.

The next day, CEL comes on. But I figured it was just an O2 sensor, and the car still ran fine, so I kept driving it. Noticed that the gas mileage decreased slightly.

Today: Driving along, go to downshift onto an onramp, and I put it in gear, but the car wouldnt go. Look down, all the idiot lights are on. Ok, I guess I stalled out. Push in the clutch and try to start it up. No go. Pull over, try to start it up again, still wont.

Its turning over but its either not getting a spark, or somethings up with the fuel line. Im wondering though if it was cause by the messed up O2 sensor, maybe a clogged fuel line? Busted fuel pump? Busted coil pack (hats what the BF said). Busted spark plugs? I havent changed them out yet. The cars got 58k miles.

So anyway the car was towed back to the shop where the exhaust was installed, and Im hoping that this was cause by the messed up O2 sensors, cause then it would be his fault and I get it fixed for free.

Anyone have this happen before?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

new plugs and wires for you first, then we'll talk. wink1.gif
Old 02-16-2005, 08:45 PM

shesh, you bought an unknown car and didn't have a complete tune up done? Plugs, wires, fluids, filters, belts? That is the first thing I do when I buy a used car.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 PM

I wouldnt say go new plugs wires.. Pull your plugs, see what they look like.. Your car will run on 3 cylinders and start up, just be real rough, so I doubt its plugs/wires (unless you richened up and fouled plugs)..

Maybe when they rewired the o2, they didnt wire correctly and it changed a/f ratio?

When you start it, does it TRY to fire and doesnt, or is it not firing at all? Check for fuel pressure if its not firing at all..

Myabe its plugs and wires, but I find that hard to believe..
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 PM

I know, it definetly needs a tune up. Wouldnt even pass emissions testing.

It turned over put didnt fire. I dont think it was running on any less than 4 cylinders because it was running perfectly fine before it died.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

heres the thing, becuase you havent really done anything maintenance wise to it yet, and dont know if anything has been done to it, it really could be anything. so, work your way through the cheaper and easier things to fix first, and then go up from there. i would change plugs and wires first. prob. not the problem, but its really easy and cheap to fix.

just dont think that if they fix it, you still wont have to do the other things.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:59 PM

^^very true. Luckily I saved the wires from the black tib, because I had to change them too. And luckily I have most of the parts I would need to fix whatever the problem is, lol.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:10 PM

A bad 02 sensor would not make your car die, I have unplugged mine and it ran fine, also the wires and plugs would not make your car just die out of nowhere, it would run like crap but it would still run. There are three main things that would would cause your car to die out and not start back up, your either getting no spark, no fuel or you snapped your cambelt. If your getting no fuel it could be anything from a bad fuel pump relay or a bad fuel pump and no spark would most likely be a bad coil pack. If your getting no fuel and no spark that when you know you have a major problem that could be something like a bad ecu or even a bad crank sensor. There are so many things that could cause your car to just die and I have to say a need for a tune up or a bad 02 sensor is not one of them.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 PM

that is a good point about having most of the parts from your black tib... definatly keep the coil packs around just in case.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
shesh, you bought an unknown car and didn't have a complete tune up done? Plugs, wires, fluids, filters, belts? That is the first thing I do when I buy a used car.

True dat. Do everything and see if the problem persists. If you want the car to run good and sound sexy, you gotta drop a couple hundred on a tuneup. I bet the car is noticably faster and smoother afterward. tongue.gif