Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

muffler sound/performance

Old 01-12-2003, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler sound/performance

i need opinions on mufflers.

with nothing but performance in mind, whowould you say makes the best muffler??

and with nothing but sound (loud an deep), who would say makes the best muffler??

and lastly, who would you say makes the best of both worlds in one muffler??

you're opinions and input would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-12-2003, 09:52 PM

for me, only the exhaust didnt give any performance!

for the sound, ractive are cheap and make sound...but really cheap.

i've a Magnaflow exhaust, greet sound, (make no sound on a stock line ) high SST quality and is straight, no baffel etc etc, no restriction, if you have the complete catback, maybe this will help to give performance.

i hope this will help you, good luck!
Old 01-13-2003, 01:56 PM

dude, definately the mbrp catback. i love that thing. it sounds f**kin suweet, and it's as far away from a civic/bee's nest under the hood sound as you can get (at least from my experience). i dunno which muffler they use, or if just the muffler they use welded onto the stock pipes would sound as good as the whole thing.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:53 AM

dynomax bullet race magnum muffler (race use only illegal for street use....oops) grand total price for the muffler.....50 bux....sound very F*cking LOUD...performance cant really say since the place that installed my custom catback piping ****ed it all up. ill let u know when its all redone withe the same muffler
Old 01-14-2003, 11:53 AM

this is what mine sounds like with a magnaflow street series exhuast. the video is really dark so it's more of a AUDIO link.
http://w3.one.net/~dwertman/mycar.asf
Old 01-17-2003, 02:06 PM

Please STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM PACESETTER CATBACKS!! (their resonator/muffler combo sucks...but the mandrel piping is good) If you want details as to why, shoot me and e-mail and i'll tell you all about my experience with them.

anyhow, i'd stick with a mandrel bent system like MBRP's cat-back or KORE motorsports cat-back. It's worth the money. I myself have spent more than what it would have cost for a KORE/MBRP system on my exhaust trying to find the best compromise between sound quality/drivablilty (not too loud)/performance.

To make a long story short i've had 2 systems installed (1st one modified 2 times, 2nd one modified once which is the current one that i'm happy with now).

My existing setup now is Pacesetter cat-back mandrel bent system (2.25") with resonator/muffler swapped for my current ones. The resonator/muffler combo is KEY to what your tastes are. You want cores in your reso./muff. to be perforated...NOT LOUVERED. Straight through designs are best but don't always quite the noise enough. I learned that our cars NEED resonators. Too loud otherwise. My resonator is a dual chambered perf. core design. With it installed my car sounds like a porsche. Without it i sound like i have a weedwacker exhaust. The muffler is a stainless dual DTM style striaght through perf. core.

My exhaust may seem backwards as my resonator is chambered instead of the muffler but this is how i maintain a very SMOOTH exhaust note throughout the ENTIRE rpm range. It eliminates most choppiness and the straight through muffler gives the tone and further smoothes it out. If you kept your stock exhaust system and just replaced your muffler with what was mentioned above, you get the same smoothness except the note isn't as deep (due to stock piping).

I just kept the same formula as the stock system (check out the small resonators from stock system). Therefore the new significantly larger resonator allows for better flow while keeping the note smooth. It's about 24" long.

This is turning into a long post so e-mail me for details. I can share with you a great sounding exhaust if you really want to know what works on our cars. Trust me, i've tried EVERYTHING.

[ January 17, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]