Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Most Likely My Stupid Tps.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so 90% of the time my car idles at around a nice semi quiet 850-950 rpms.

lately, seems at random, the idle will just decide 'hey, i wanna wake up the neighborhood and idle at like 1200-1900 rpms.' sometimes it'll settle back down for a second, and sometimes itll stay there for a couple days. then a whole week will pass by where it is fine..

i checked my vacuum for any leaks, and it still reads 25 in/hg of vac.

i also checked to see if my TB was getting stuck, so i fully closed it, and was still having the same idle problem until it decided it wanted to 'fix' itself.

a couple times, to fix it, i beat the crap out of the car, and it was fine, for like a day. lmao.gif

i was thinking it may have been a fuel issue causing the high idle, maybe a lean condition, but my AFR, and idle fuel pressure remain the same... AFR: 14.8-15.3 FP: 38psi with vac. hooked up

obviously, with the higher idle my oil pressure is a lil higher, from the higher rpms, at like 20-25psi at the oil filter.

the EGT is still ~750 degrees

and my oil temp. varies on if i am boosting or not. sometimes like 300 degrees. lmao.gif
Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Have you checked the throttle cables? Try adjusting it.

I'd even start playing with idle adjusting screw.

After all that i'd swap the tps, check to see if the problem stills there than I'd move on to the IAC. It most likely might be the IAC. If its causing problems, I'd just remove it and adjust your tb for idle, like tim's set up.

Keep us updated man.

Also: have you checked emange settings?
or have used a boost leak tester to see precisely if your getting any leaks in the system?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, adjusting around the IAC would give you two or three codes, which is no fun especially if your code free at the moment.

I'd play with the adjustments, if not, its probably the TPS.

I have come to the conclusion that I hate the TPS more than anything else in the world. Anything.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

well about 3 weeks back, when i had my ebay strut bar on, my TPS got knocked off under torque from hitting the strut bar. the problem didn't occur directly after that, but never happened before that.

i don't know what codes i am throwing i took the CEL light out, it was bothering me, and i was throwing like 5 codes anyway, lol.

i have a couple extra IACs i could try, but my IAC is under my air ram so thats going to be a lil PITA.

i played with the idle screw, to the point where i took it out, and shut the TB ALL the way, without it making an ounce of difference.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 PM

^^ Same thing mine was doing, lol. I switched the IAC and it fixed my idle issue.

Originally, my car was idling at 2800RPM with the screw in and it didn't do anything taking it almost all the way out.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM

im thinking iac over tps. i would try another one or adjust around it and see if it helps
Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^n right thats what i thought when i read this. Clean out your IAC with some deep creep or SeaFoam. It should be fine. Your IAC controls your RPMs. The comuter directly reads RPM and compensates with the IAC.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 AM

Vehicle: car

I'd lean more towards IAC than TPS. check it out with one of your spares. Even though its a pain with that Air Ram, its better than dying out all the time.