Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

mods

Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003
Default mods

hey fellas, i have a 2003, 4cyl tiburon, and im going to beef her up
here is what im hoping to do

install a big bore throttle body,
and a short ram air intake

thats it for now

what im asking is what is the best diameter size to go with for the big bore throttle body, 52.5mm, or up to 65mm?

and second, what ram intake is the best for me, AEM, INJEN, or anything, im not looking to spend a hell of alot of $$ but something with roar and gritt.
also could i use a 6 cyl ram intake instead, with no mods, just rip apart and bolt on, is it all good.

if you have any pointers or tips regarding this PLEASE HIT ME UP... MUCH APPRECIATED, any input is killer
thanxs

and tear it up
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

CAI is the way to go not ram intake. And AEM.
The bbtb depends on what your future plans are. You'll get more "throttle response" but not much in the way of hp. To maximize the bbtb you'll need to port match your intake manifold. 65mm is too big unless you're planning on some forced induction down the road.
Tip: Generally you want to start with cai intake/header/cat back exhaust. You feel much better about your car and pick up some hp in the process. All future mods will benefit from these baseline mods.
Good luck man!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:41 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Accent GSi 1.5L SOHC

I agree with the above, however short-ram intakes have been known to give good low-end power. If you do go with a short-ram it really doesn't matter what brand you go with or what car/engine it was designed for because in essence it is only a short pipe with a filter on the end. The important thing is to get a good filter that is both high-flowing and filter the air well like a K&N. Don't cheap out on the filter or you'll pay for it in the end.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 AM

The short ram situation really depends on what you buy, the AEM version is basically an air filter. The Injen IS model is short only due to the fact that it does not enter the wheel well. If you are thinking of a short ram style intake I would go with the Injen.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 AM

hey crew..

thanxs for the quiick responce. I know that im going about this the wrong way, but $$ is a factor, right now i can afford a cai (looking at short ram... less hassle) and a bbtb, i know i should get the bbtb later on, but right now, i can afford it so i think i should get it.

so if right now my exhaust is factory, i think its 2'' diameter, with lets say AEM short ram, and everything else factory, what kind of bbtb should i buy.

thanxs again guys

keep ridin'
Old 04-05-2006, 12:23 PM

I honestly would wait for the bbtb, use that money for something else that will give you more hp, headers for example. The intake will help because the stock tiburon intake for your model is very restrictive.

As for the exhaust, in all honesty your stock exhaust is really not a bad design, were you are most restricted, when it comes to HP, is the headers and the catalytic converters. I think you will see better results with some aftermarket headers and a high flow catalytic converter.

When it comes to dynos ..... 90% of all dynos show more hp gains with a CAI and headers than with a new exhaust. BUT if you combine all 3 mods it will go higher. The only thing you will see with a BBTB is a little more response than with stock. BBTB's are used best with Airram Intakes and forced induction.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

QUOTE(importshark @ Apr 5 2006, 02:23 PM)
I honestly would wait for the bbtb, use that money for something else that will give you more hp, headers for example. The intake will help because the stock tiburon intake for your model is very restrictive.

As for the exhaust, in all honesty your stock exhaust is really not a bad design, were you are most restricted, when it comes to HP, is the headers and the catalytic converters. I think you will see better results with some aftermarket headers and a high flow catalytic converter.

When it comes to dynos ..... 90% of all dynos show more hp gains with a CAI and headers than with a new exhaust. BUT if you combine all 3 mods it will go higher. The only thing you will see with a BBTB is a little more response than with stock. BBTB's are used best with Airram Intakes and forced induction.

Would you say this holds true for the V6 also as far as the headers being a better idea to change first before the exhaust?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM

hey guys
thanxs for the responces, ive come to a decision and with my current $$ im going to go with a catback, and a cheap ass short ram intake with a foam or a k&N filter,
for the cat back ive been doing some reasearch and i REALLY LIKE THE MUSSA FULL CATBACK DUAL ANGLE TIP SYSTEM it looks hot and my god the sound mmmmm, i have to recheck the website but it was priced at 549.00 plus shipping, so i have to relook at more websites and toss the coin to see what price i can get.

if anyone knows where i could get a good deal with this that would be killer.
and if anyone wants to throw some tips or opinions in im all ears...
and guys this fourm rocks, i appreciate everything

cheers cat
peace.
shawn
Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 PM

QUOTE(silvershark19 @ Apr 6 2006, 06:20 PM)
Would you say this holds true for the V6 also as far as the headers being a better idea to change first before the exhaust?

Thanks

Yes ...... especially the V6.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

QUOTE(importshark @ Apr 18 2006, 10:25 PM)
Yes ...... especially the V6.

hmm interesting now to decide if I want to wait for the exhast to come in or just get the headers and then decide about the exhaust. So much to think about. Since I just got the the konig sideways installed a week ago.