Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Manual Transmission Leak, Again!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well, my last post, I posted that I had a leak due to old/faulty seals that my mechanic forgot to replace when repairing the CV Axle. Well, the transmission is leaking again. I visually checked it myself and there's no leak coming from the seals. The drain and fill plugs are not leaking and the speedometer sensor is not leaking as well. Where else could the transmission be leaking?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Where the shifter (where the shift cables connect) goes in on top, there are seals also. Pull the air intake to have a good look.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Will do, brb.

Nope, not leaking. Damn seal is leaking again. It's the most wet in that area. *sigh*.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

anyone here slightly lube the edge of new seals prior to installation? 1 of mine is leaking again... mad.gif

tip: seal puller owns using a flathead especially for stubborn-stuck seals. right tool for right job motto is so true

Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

transmission oil seal is leaking on my 97 tiburon manual transmission, tranny fluid (red line synthetic), is leaking spitting out towards the back and slightly dripping down to the ground off the case yet no significant loss of fluiid
Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Does it only leak while driving, or also while sitting in the garage/parked?
Does it seal fine for a few weeks, then suddenly start leaking?

Just curious (it's been so long I can't remember), when you pull the axles to replace the seals, do you lose a lot of fluid from the transmission? Just wondering if you're having to drain and fill everytime you mess with the seals.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 99 rd2 coupe 1.8

Well 9 times out of ten people are careless when installing lip seals. What you want to do is grease up the seal and fill it's backing too with grease. Usually the general purpose no.2 grease from castrol. On the outer side of the seal you want to run a light smear of loctite 567 which will serve as a lube and in the near future hold it in position. When you decide to place it in position you should cover the area your sliding it over with transperancy film so that if there is any scoring it doesn't damage the lip on the seal. Then push it on with a rubber mallet, using a hollow dolly. If you take care and do it like I explained, you wont' have an issue with your seals. As another check, make sure the garter spring is in position. Also, your better off using a viton or taconite seal as they are more tollerant to heat, rather than a standard one. No special tools are required. lol. Also, never-ever reuse a seal. You just can't trust them. Once it's off, it's off.