Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

MAF "grate"

Old 03-31-2003, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF "grate"

i've heard of cutting or taking the plastic grate in front of the maf out to free up some of the flow area of the maf pipe to achieve better/more flow. however, it doesn't make sense for hyundai (and i've read the mitsus are have it, too), to just throw some grate in the intake for sh*ts and giggles. i've heard that it helps make the flow more even/laminar so the maf can measure it more accurately. is this true? or is it worth taking out. i took mine out, and the acceleration seems "stepped," if that makes sense. like very little pull, a little more pull, more pull, etc... throughout the rpms, rather than being smoother, the way it was before i took it out.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I think that "honeycomb" is there to protect anything that might get sucked up into your throttle body/intake manifold. It may FEEL like you've gained more power, but I doubt it really does a whole lot for performance by taking it out. Could be wrong though. dunno But I personally would keep it in for a peace of mind. The last thing you would want is having something sucked up into your engine because the honeycomb wasn't there to protect it from happening.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Do not remove the "grill". It is there to straighten the air flow so that the MAF sensor records an accurate cross section of air flow, and that the airflow is straight (or as straight as possbile.

Removing the grill will cause very turbulent air to tumble past your MAF sensor, causing your air readings to flucuate wildly, even at a stable RPM.

DO NOT DO THIS.

Both Red and Myself have done this at one point in time. We BOTH BOUGHT new MAFs with the grill and went back to MAF's with Grills.

The "stepped" acceleration you feel is problable due to air turbulence in the MAF. As high turbulence air goes over the MAF, it senses more air (ads more fuel). If Low turbulence air goes to the MAF sensor will read less air (remove fuel or not send as much fuel)

As the air "tumbles" in and around that MAF tube, the MAF readings jump widly from HIGH air flow to LOW air flow and back, even though the overall volume of air flow remains more or less constant.

[ March 31, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-31-2003, 08:25 AM

doh! beat_dow random, can we buy just the grate? i mean, i started breaking mine out before i realized that it snapped in, so most of the grate is broken out. hyundai's parts extranet doesn't have a part number for just that piece...just the whole f**king maf. i've found complete mafs from wrecked cars for as little as $15, but if i could just order the grate from a dealer, it should be less. anyone know the grate's part number?
Old 03-31-2003, 11:02 PM
Red

As far as HMC is concerned, the MAF is only one piece. If it's broken, it gets replaced fully. That includes the grate, the sensor assembly and every other "individual" component of the MAF itself.

Short answer: time to buy a new MAF.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

turbulence:
doh! beat_dow
Don't feel bad. Red's done it, I've done it, Shadohh's done it.

Nuthin to cry about.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Red

Yeah, sadly I didn't stop at doing it once either wink Fortunately for me, the 2nd MAF sensor I wrecked didn't need to be replaced with yet another MAF, becuase it got ripped out and replaced with a Haltech.

I'd send you a stocker for free, but uh, it's screenless as well wink
Old 04-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Red:
I'd send you a stocker for free, but uh, it's screenless as well wink
I've got a screenless stocker laying around somewhere too... suicide
Old 04-01-2003, 01:28 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i to gave a try at the screen removal too, but didn't see much change,
the way i removed the screen (grate) i didn't damaged it and just put it back in
Old 04-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Denisst99:
the way i removed the screen (grate) i didn't damaged it and just put it back in
That's what Shadohh said. He said he was somehow able to remove it intact. I just said "puck it" and cut the screen out with a set of cutting pliers. beat_dow suicide

I had to buy a whole new MAF.