Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Lsd Swap

Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Limited slip differentials have been swapped into Hyundais? Im interested in RD1 tib and X3 accent (beta swap) I know guys have said that they cant handle engines under boost, which is ok with me, im not there... yet. What I want to know about is an available swap for both of my cars, something older would be easier to comeby, but for the purpose of posting lets hear about any swpas that have been done. Yes, i have seen the phanton slip metal box thing, and i know they are available aftermarket, im a junk yard dog, im thinking about sportage, sante fe, eclipse, talon, here is an idea.... how aobut mid 90's sonatas? surprise me guys, while im here, what do the hyundais have in them stock?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:58 PM

cusco dbm2050 lsd.
fits the following models
hyundai rd1 1997
selected mitsubishi ce lancer fwd
Old 06-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Quaife also fits in the 1st gen tiburons. Select the 1990-99 mitsubishi eclipse front or awd.

Or you can call them just to make sure, excellent customer service.

Only downside of a good lsd is the price $1150 USD.

Please let us know what you end up getting (if anything), and how it performs.

Thanks and good luck. smile.gif
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM

kspec used to offer a M&Tec LSD, I don't know if they are still available, but I think they stopped offering it because no one ordered it; maybe they can still get it.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 PM

are you trying to improve traction and acceleration?
these are the parts that i'm saving up for and getting installed on the car.

polyutherane Engine mounts
Whiteline antilip kit lower control
Lsd
Front strut bar
Old 07-21-2006, 03:14 PM

My beta swap car doesnt have power steering and with an extra 50 horse +- the torque steer should make for a good time, the car is also my dedicated winter beater, so spinning my right tire once and a while might be nice as a change. I was hoping to find a 3.0l v6 car with a similar layout that might work, the 95 to 98 sonota was my first choice (only because they are easy to come by around here) but the tranny is on the wrong side of the engine compartment and I took that as a bad sign, what about the 99+ sonotas, are the drivetrains similar at all? I would expect hyundai would put an improved differential in a v6 sedan, so ill keep looking.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM

^For what you want, use a Phantom Grip. Some Keyboard Engineers will tell you that they are OMG dangerous and will destroy your tranny and all, but it won't.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:04 PM

^ +1
Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

IF your going to go against what many other members have encountered with phantom grip, which would be that it destroys your diff over ~240whp, at least state if youre over that threshhold and if so how long have you had the PG in, how long youve been over 240whp with the phantom grip, what kind of driving you do with it, and with what other mods.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for if your putting out a good amount of hp, if your All N/A, real low boost, or stock, PG will most likely not kill your diff.

But if your boosting and plan on going over 240hp dont do it with a cheap pseudo lsd like the PG, go quaife if you dont plan on rallying it, or Kaaz if you do.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:04 AM

Nobody EVER blew a tranny because of the Phantom Grip. That has never been proved. Ever. Onpol was one of the first guys to run a "big" turbo setup and used a PG. The PG myth started with him. But he blew the transmission because 1) he was on true slicks (ie, mad traction) 2) he didn't solder the spyder gear pin when he installed the PG (which is necessary on our transmissions) 3) he never actually proved that the CAUSE was the PG.

I know Onpol story, because I ran a PG after him... Onpol's PG, which he sold to me, and which was still perfectly fine. Never had a problem with it. I ran it on my turbo tib (~220hp at that time, to be fair).

Denisst99 has been driving with his PG for 3+ years. You can't find anybody else who's harder on a transmission than him. He recently blew his 3rd gear and swapped the transmission (along with the PG, of course), but if you actually know a little about transmissions, you know it can't be related with the PG (and it wasn't).

LarryMcFly take SOLO with his car. He has a PG. As far as I know, he never complained about it.

I know of at least 5 other guys, locally, that have PGs (including the guy I sold my old PG to) and are all happy. At least 2 are turbo.

Now... saying that the PG is evil in itself is PURE KEYBOARD ENGINEERING. The Hyundai community has been spreading that myth far too long. It must now come to an end.

You won't blow anything with the PG. You won't get all the benefits of a true LSD, neither, but the price tag is nice compared to a true LSD.

I'm currently running a KaaZ, if you're wondering.