Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

lsd

Old 11-30-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: And the darwin award goes to....

There is no REPLACEMENT for DISPLACMENT !!!!!!! 8O
Old 11-30-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Custom RDTiburon Badges, VOTE HERE!

phantom grip is a POS not even worth the $$

kazz is based out of LA here in california check out there website, i forgot the name, just google kazz

i had the kazz unit in my closet but i returned it cuz i thought there was gonna be a lil GB on the quaiffe units (yea right) and i havent gotten around to gettin my lsd yet .....
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: 315cc injectors

quaiffe is a beautiful unit.. just not good for rallying. You get a wheel on ice or in the air.. it reverts to an open diff.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: 315cc injectors

I don't quite agree with you about the phantom grip. Of course, higher hp cars should use a good LSD because they need all they can get but not because the thing would trash their diff.

If it's good qulity and installed right, there should not be any problems. There are different designs, different springs, rods.... I have used mine, that we custom built, for about a year and a half. No problems at all. The result was noticeable but not amazing. A friend of mine has a boosted beta1 in his accent and he is also running a phantom grip custom made at a good local shop, no problems there either.

Yes, some people have screwed up their diff with it...but I have heard more storie on broken diff that where stock wink.gif
Old 11-30-2004, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Custom RDTiburon Badges, VOTE HERE!

To sum it up (and so i can get it straight in my head) there are three different LSD:

1. Phantom (mixed results, not recommended for anything over 220 HP)

2. Kazz (based out of California, no comments on it)

3. Quaiffe (best results and most reliable)

Correct me if i am wrong, i just wanted to simplify it for myself...

Thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Bright blue bmwbenz headlights

QUOTE (LarryMcFly)
I don't quite agree with you about the phantom grip. Of course, higher hp cars should use a good LSD because they need all they can get but not because the thing would trash their diff.

Sorry dude, but you are wrong. The Phantom Grip is a POS for our diffs. It's a fact. Former Hyundai tuners with WELL known names, like Random, and Onpol, know this for a FACT. Both are high quality guys and did more for this game than anyone here in these forums. It's not even a LSD, it's a placebo.

Why else isn't everyone hopping on this low cost sensation?

Because it sucks donkey balls.

Your buddy is running boost in an Accent Beta.

Great.

What's his WHP, how long has he done it for, and what diff is he running.

2bits, there is also the M&Tec LSD at www.kspec.com
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Re: About ARK

I have the Quaife LSD, I posted a review of it at Hyundai Aftermarket. Might as well post it here too for everyones reference. laugh.gif

Hey guys I finally got the LSD installed and everything went together nicely. I thank Kurtis for his expertise for making this happen (Former Hyundai Tech). I helped as much as I could and it was a learning experience for sure!

For fluid I used Redline MT-90 with about 30% Lucas Oil Stabilizer, might as well do it right the first time! I have to say that I was surprised how sticky the Lucas Oil Stabilizer was, no wonder it helps the oil coat the gears better! I have noticed a marginal improvent of the smoothness of the shifts, maybe that will get better as time goes on. There is only 40000kms on the tranny so far so there is not much wear present.

Installation of the LSD was pretty simple once the tranny was out of the car and the case was open. Removal of 5th gear and I think reverse is required to get in to the lower part of the case where the differential resides. No shims were needed for end play, pretty much dropped right in! It was very interesting to see the guts of the tranny and all the gears were great shape and there was minimal filings on the magnets inside. New bearings were used so we didn't have to try to pry off the old bearings and end up damaging them. For the speedo gear it went on the Quaife without heating it up with a brass punch and ball pein hammer, although heating up the gear would have made it slip on a little easier. The Mitsubishi speedo gear is not quite as wide as the gear that is machined into the Hyundai diff but still works fine. Then it was just a matter of transfering over the main ring gear and dropping it back into the case.

OK now for the fun part!!! We get everything back together and it is road test time! Now when we did the LSD we replaced the clutch as well so I haven't done any hard launches yet as the clutch needs some break in time. BUT I cannot believe how much this LSD eliminates torque steer! I can literally let go of the steering wheel while accelerating!! (Not that I would recommend doing this often LOL) But before when accelerating, dips and bumps in the road would pull the car all over the place, especially under boost. Cornering is downright scary now! Where I would get the front end drifting and lose acceleration in a tight corner before, now it really digs in and keeps accelerating! This LSD is SOOOOO smooth in engagement that you can never tell when it is shifting power from one wheel to the other. I am very impressed to say the least! This is a pricey unit but damn it makes this front wheel drive car seem much less front wheel drive!

Next up part 2 once the clutch is broken in I will let you all know how this helps for launching and lowering wheel spin!!

For the full thread go here:
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.com/cgi-bin/...t=000273#000000
Old 11-30-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Destroyed

That is pretty impressive. On a scale of 1-10 how hard was it to get the tranny out of the car???

Thanks Redz, i thought i missed one
Old 12-01-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Vader kit

Thanks for the head up, Cuda. I will be bumping this up a notch or two for both of my cars. I knew they were a good LSD, (actually, a torque biasing differential) but I was not aware of exactly how good they were.

BTW 2bits.. you missed more than one.. I deleted the other clone post.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Rally Accidents

QUOTE (REDZMAN)

Sorry dude, but you are wrong. The Phantom Grip is a POS for our diffs. It's a fact. Former Hyundai tuners with WELL known names, like Random, and Onpol, know this for a FACT. Both are high quality guys and did more for this game than anyone here in these forums. It's not even a LSD, it's a placebo.

Why else isn't everyone hopping on this low cost sensation?

Because it sucks donkey balls.

Your buddy is running boost in an Accent Beta.

Great.

What's his WHP, how long has he done it for, and what diff is he running.

You got me wrong, I never prefered a PG over a real LSD...I started by mentionning "if you are looking for a cheaper option..." wink.gif Second, my friend is boosting 9psi an he uses an X3 tranny. He has been drag racing all summer. Why people are not using it? Because it is not the best thing for sure but I don't think it's a peice of crap. It is compared to an LSD but not compared to stock wink.gif