Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Loss of Power

Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Loss of Power

There was a huge storm than ran through town a couple weeks ago and my tib suffered some damage while I was driving. Apparently I hit a HUGE puddle, which almost brought the car to a stop, but it did stall out. So I coasted to a nearby parking lot and tried to crank it. It wouldn't turn over for a bit and had me really concerned for hydrolock, but eventually I got it to start. It ran and idled awful and lacked any real throttle response.

I took it to a nearby shop the next day where they said they dried out the ignition system and seemed to idle fine. Apparently that wasn't the only issue.
Ever since then I feel like I have lost a lot of power and throttle response. And today, while coming back to work from lunch, it lost almost all throttle response and wouldn't get over 2k rpms. So I dropped it down into first to get the RPMs up and it accelerates fine from there.

Just made it back into work, but it happened once more.

My guesses are MAF sensor, lack of O2 sensors(I have none attached), or bad air filter?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Run the engine in the dark, and see if you have arcs & sparks from the coilpacks and/or plug wires. If so, you need to replace whatever is leaking high voltage. Pull the plug wires and have a good long look at them, and if they are questionable, replace them. Pull the plugs while you are at it, and see how they look.

If you pull the air filter out and run the engine without the filter, you should know if that's it in about 5 seconds. If it is a paper filter and it got wet, it should have been replaced immediately anyhow, so if it did get wet, get a replacement regardless of if it made a difference or not.

If a little water got into the gas tank that could cause poor running. Top off with a full tank of gas and put a cup or two of pure isopropyl alcohol (or a commercial water removal gasoline additive) in the tank, and run it for a couple of minutes to get the bad gas through the fuel lines. DO NOT use rubbing alcohol, which has a high water content. If it runs better but still not great, you might pull the back seat and open the tank. If you see like a LOT of water in there, you'll need to drain the tank and repeat the above procedure.

ETA: If it ran with no O2 sensors before, it should run as well as it did before. You really ought to have O2 sensors in there, they will help the car run better AND save you gas money.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Also, clean the MAF.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Okay, so I went down to advanced last Friday right before I was leaving to go out of town. I picked up a can of MAF cleaner and hose that baby down. After that I regained my throttle response. I also changed my spark plugs, which apparently fouled up from running too rich without O2's. So now I have my front o2 back on.

So that problem is fixed, but now I have a cracked manifold as well. Ugh. But that's for another thread.