Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Looks like I will be needing a new clutch soon.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the clutch in my hyundai has never been the best.. yesterday I was leaving Atlantic City and trying to go from a stop to 60mph on a slight uphill incline so I could blend into traffic onto the Atlantic City Expressway. I brought the revs up.. saw my spot, dumped the clutch and floored it.. Tach went to 5 grand and held there for a few seconds rather than chirping the wheels.. meanwhile the unmistakable smells of burning clutch seeped into the cabin.

I am thinking of going with a SC so I do not need the super clamping force of a turbo equipped car.. nor do I want a leg killing clutch.. I do enough city driving to make that something I do not want to do (My Fiat's clutch is heavy enough to be a pain in traffic). Even though I do some city driving, I also want a lightened flywheel. I hate how slow the Beta revs and then holds it's engine speed after I have let off of the throttle.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:00 PM

My stocker is holding alright with the s/c on. I smoked my clutch first time to the tracks. Never had any probs since. Although I do recommend upgrading cause I am about at the hp limits on this stocker. But I also only have 37k miles on it.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:48 PM

I am unsure how many miles are on my clutch.. the car has almost 84,000 but I had a new tranny put in when the original machined itself from the inside out. All I know is that a LOT of fluid came out through the mainshaft seal in the bellhousing. I assume the clutch was soaked in fluid at the time.. but I do not know if Sport Hyundai Dodge in PleasantVille NJ replaced it or just cleaned it.

Clutch is holding today.. I even managed to chirp the tyres pulling out into traffic today. It might have been a combination of the uphill incline, a new concrete surface, and the wire and sticky tyres I run. I have smoked the clutch before.. so I assume maybe I still have a few miles on it yet.

I do want to replace it though.. I am hoping to survive long enough for the 6 speed to come out for the beta so I can do a swap.. Any recomendations for a good performance clutch for between 200 and 225hp? (whatever I can coax out of the alpine SC I want to buy and install)