Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Looking To Upgrade Pulleys

Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm sick of the belts squealing, so i want to replace my pulleys, so i figure since my b day is coming up maybe i can go aftermarket for a present. smile.gif

Honestly I'm just looking for personal opinions about pulleys. Looking to upgrade power steering, water pump, and possibly underdrive. Ive looked at the well known sites with no luck in finding anything. So i didnt know if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks guys
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

if they are squickin then you need to tighten them. but if you want more performance just pull off both your A/c and P/S belts. it spins up MUCH quicker, i love the response
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd prefer having PS and AC over the gain.

OBX makes an underdrive crank pulley, but that's the only one I know of. I think SFR has one too, but I'm not too sure
how reliable they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Crank-P...sQ5fAccessories

http://kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=721
Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Power steering on these cars is over rated. Take that from someone who has been without it for a year and change. The only thing to watch out for is that, eventually, the pump may leak if you *just* pull off the belt.

A/C is a must down here. Probably in NY you could largely do without a/c until you need the defroster in Winter.

If the only real complaint is noise, replace the belts with new, before replacing the pulleys.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM

I'd rather not go OBX, I've heard people have had problems with their pulleys. Ive replaced the alternator belt twice already, I believe that the alternator pulley is too pitted so i may need to replace that at the least. Im going to replace my power steering belt again. But I've had 2 tiburons, both having squealing belt problems, I'm just sick of it, and its actually rather embarrassing lol. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Just carry a can of wd-40 that's what I do lol
Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 AM

check your ac belt, mine was TERRIBLE
Old 05-26-2010, 01:03 AM

im almost positive its the power steering, it even looks warped, ive been meaning to change it, was going to one day but autozone gave me the wrong belt...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

my obx pulley hasn't given me a single problem... it was a little squeaky at first but i tightened it up a little bit and now it's fine.

QUOTE (Stocker @ May 25 2010, 01:33 PM)
Power steering on these cars is over rated. Take that from someone who has been without it for a year and change. The only thing to watch out for is that, eventually, the pump may leak if you *just* pull off the belt.

A/C is a must down here. Probably in NY you could largely do without a/c until you need the defroster in Winter.

If the only real complaint is noise, replace the belts with new, before replacing the pulleys.

and the power steering isn't bad at all? i've been debating about taking off that belt too. as for the ac, i live in dallas and i can do without the ac on my 2000 tib, since i have a 97 that is my daily drive.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

the only problem i had with my obx pulleys was the underdrive keyslot wasn't big enough. no big deal really cause all i did was take out roughly .040" of material w/ a flat file and it fit just fine. more than likely when they measure for the keyslot the woodruff key was not sitting parrallel. after i clean my engine bay they will squeak but only a block or two. if you have continious squeeling even after you have tightened the hell out of them a little bar soap on them works wonders.