Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

little k&n filters on hoses on elbow

Old 07-26-2002, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little k&n filters on hoses on elbow

if i put those little tiny k&n filters on the hoses on the elbow right after the throttle body woudl that do the same thing or maybe add permformance
Old 07-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Guy

Those are *breathers* they help keep dirt & oil out of your crank case. No preformace gains as far as I know. They do look pretty sweet though!
Peace...
Old 07-26-2002, 05:03 AM

but if i put those on there and unattached the eblow it wouldnt hurt?
Old 07-26-2002, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you install one, you have to block off the hole in the intake elbow.

If you install one, you will have copious amounts of oil leaking out of that *breather* filter all over your engine compartment.

Still want one?
Old 07-26-2002, 06:00 AM

There are currently two *ports* for the crankcase and valves to vent pressure: the PCV valve, and the breather hose. The pcv valve is a check valve that runs from the valve cover to the middle of the intake manifold. The breather is right next to it and meets up with the intake elbow BEFORE the throttle body. The theory is, under load, the oil vapors can vent either through the pcv or into the intake elbow.

when you put on a breather filter, you want to put it on the valve cover nipple (or have a hose that relocates it). AND, you must clamp off, or clog the existing tube that goes into the intake elbow. Otherwise, your engine can suck in un-measured air and upset the A/F mixtures, which will cause your car to run lean and have a crappy idle.

A problem with those filters is that they quickly saturate with oil and drip everywhere. My solution to that was to get the breather catch can from Summit Racing. it's a combination breather filter with a big 1 qt can underneather (with drain valve), so the oil can collect and either be put back into the sump or drained when I change my oil. The can is big, and will require some creative mounting to get it in the engine bay.

As far as helping: you won't see a HP increase, but not burning the oil vapors might help a bit. Overall, it's probably not worth it (money can be better spent on a CAI, strut bars, new plugs, plug-wires, etc). The only reason I got one is because I'm going turbo and had to reroute all that (so as to not pressurize the crankcase with boost).

sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps,
ac
Old 07-26-2002, 06:11 AM

DOH, guess Random was replying right when I was.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:39 PM

is there a possible way to extened the hoses....im not doing this for hp gains or anything like that...i i acully kinda expected it to decress lol

if someone can help me extend them that would be great