Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Leaky Head Gasket =[

Old 06-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so my head gasket PS is leaking..and I know that I want to get it done or do it but I have no idea where to start stupid site

search is not helping a thing, and we dont have a write up on it as far as I could see when I looked through the DIY section.

How hard is it because I would rather save the money and put it towards something else on the car.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

if you can follow directions to the T and have the tools it's something you can do yourself in a day.

follow the steps via hmaservice.com and you'll be fine. You'll need a torque wrench.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Pat is right. make damn sure you use ONLY a torque wrench to tighten down the bolts cause they only require 6 to 7 ft. lbs. which really isnt alot and you can easily tighten to snug 15ft. lbs. just with a wrench and then snap, you have a broken bolt in your head.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM

WTF? I hope you're not referring to the head bolts when you say 6-7 ft-lbs! Those things take alot more than that. More like 22-26 ft-lbs, then 60 degrees, followed by another 60 degrees.

Anyways, it's not a hard job, you just need to think about what you're doing while doing it. First you'll want to drain the coolant and oil, remove the coolant hoses, heater hoses, and a couple random vacuum lines in the back. Then remove the exhaust manifold, disconnect the intake, sensors, throttle cables, remove the crank pulley, timing cover, and timing belt. Pop the valve cover off, take the cam bearing caps loose, remove the cams, and take out the head bolts. Verify that everything is disconnected from the head, and pull the head off the car with the intake manifold still attached, trust me it's easier than trying to fish around in the dark for those intake bolts on the back. Once it's off, pull the gasket off, clean everything up, and inspect for damage. You should probably take the head to a machine shop to have it inspected for cracks. They have a special procedure for this, which is much better than the naked eye can do. Once you have everything cleaned up, pop the new gasket on there and put everything back where you found it. It may be easier to get little ziploc bags and label all the bolts if you think you'll have trouble with remembering where it all goes.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

i think he means 6-7lbs for the VALVE COVER.

not to talk down at you, but do you mean valve cover gasket or head gasket.. some n00bs call valve cover gaskets head gaskets.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM

its deff my head gasket, not the cover I might not know how to do the head gasket lol but i know its not the cover
Old 06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

can you take a pic where its leaking.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 PM

It is very straight forward, most then likely you will need to get the head resurfaced, make sure you buy a 10mm and 8mm hex sockets for the head bolts if i remember properly...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

Really, you guys torque the rockers? I don't think I've EVER torqued them down, but I DID crack a Pony rocker (I just heard a slight crack when I was tightening it, and I stopped!) which I still use years later. I know Liz doesn't torque anything either... I guess we're just "that good!"

As for the leak, i'd start with the rocker cover. I thought my 93 swift had a bad head gasket (OIL EVERYWHERE!), and one day when I was adjusting the lash on the valves, I saw that the rocker cover gasket was totally disintegrated. So I replaced it. the head gasket "leak" was solved! Dry engine up until I sold it to my ex's bro.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 AM

No, I've had overtorqued bolts in the head before, not fun AT ALL.