Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Leaking Tranny Fluid From The Axle

Old 12-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, i've got a 2000 tib with a manual tranny, and i've got tranny fluid dripping from where the driver side axle mounts into the tranny. i'm taking a guess that it's the seal that goes in that hole where the axle mounts. i have 2 questions. firstly, do you think that's what it is? Secondly, if it is, what special tool do i need to put this in? Webtech says that I need some special tool to tap it into the hole, and I'm wondering how hard this is to do. I can't take it to my mechanic friend, since he can only work on it on weekends and it's christmas this weekend -_-. Is this hard to do? thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Did you do any hard launches where you got some wheel hop or hit a big pot hole?

The clip which holds the axel in position may have came loose or off all together. Jack the car up and have a look
Old 12-22-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That's the axle seal. You are supposed to replace them every time you remove the axles. I hate those POS&%$#^%^. mad.gif I get the same problem as you all the time, but I have been puling my axles a lot lately.
They cost $3.50 each from the dealer, you need two. Pulling it out is easy cause you don't have to worry about damaging it. But putting it in is pretty hard, especially while the tranny is on the car. You need something with the same diameter to put over it while you bang on that gently. The trick is to bang it in without damaging the seal.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

I had the same problem the first time I pulled my transmission. I never replaced the seals so I figured it was that, but I just grabbed the axle and pushed it back in. The axle would pop out whenever I slid the car on dry pavement, so i then figured it was the circlip, but since I replaced the trans, it never happened again. I also stopped sliding sideways on tar.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Oh boy.. i share jongtrs pain..

Ive had an axle pop out on me an hour away from home..

If your axle popped out, switch the seal anyways. Also, replace the axle clips. They cost about 10-50 cents from the dealer.

As soon as i switched the clips,... my problems stopped. If you switch the seal, switch the clips. Everytime i fvck with the axles i switch both.

Switching the clips is easy.. use a flat head to bend the crap out of the old one.. then just push the new clip in...

Remember to get gear oil in advance.