Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Last Thread Before I Do My Clutch

Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

ok last thread i promise lol

well i got all the basic tools, propane torch, 17mm 12 point socket, jack stands, jack... and think im ready, it should be here tommorow

on the other hand, i've been trying to find as much info about doing the clutch as i can but it didnt turn out very fruitfull, i can find abit on hma but it just covers the actual internals of the clutch, not how to get to it, at least what i've been able to locate. the DIY is down and there isint to many threads about it

anyone have a quick run down on what to remove to get to the clutch? and on the auto -> manuel swap, they used a engine hoist to support the engine, this was only needed cause they dropped the entire transmission right?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:21 AM

ive allways used a jack and 2x6 to hold the engine up.

best bet is to just look at what need to be removed, and remove it. its that easy, clutch jobs are in no way hard (at least for our car) there just time consuming.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

you are going to have to drop the entire tranny!

once you take out the driver side mount and the roll stoppers (mounts on the crossmenber) you need to support the engine. the best way to support it is to use a jack and then a stand on the oil pan brace, there is a couple of flat spots on it. make sure that it is supported good because you will need some breaker bar force to break the flywheel out (if you dont have any power tools)

now when you drop/put back the tranny, i recommend:

- getting a transmission jack
- have a couple of manpower to help you out

vlad, what's your email again? i will send you some of my notes!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 AM

vladimer17@hotmail.com

notes would be fantastic!!

i found a DIY for a elantra, how much different are our engine bays from them?

http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/clutch.php
Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 AM

sent! i initally have sent it to your paypal email address as well

yes, that elantra diy will really help you... it is exactly the same!

oh, be mindful of the torques specs on the flywheel and the clutch disc bolts...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 AM

edit: read somewhere here that if you take the 2 strut bolts off you dont have to fiddle with the pickle fork to try any pry the axle off, in the elantra DIY they do both and it doesnt look like theres any trick to it, i just read something wrong or is there a way to get by it without fiddling with it all? cause

ill have to check it out on the labtop cause i just formated my comp and i dont even have word so it wont let me open it lol

thanks alot though!! fing02.gif
Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

on holding up the engine the way I did it (they also make tools for this) is to put a bar across from firewall to nose of the car with some rags under it. Chain the engine to the bar on the right side of the engine to the spot there for lifting the motor out of the car. Then you won't have anything under the car getting in your way.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Jay-M @ Mar 23 2007, 10:03 AM)
the best way to support it is to use a jack and then a stand on the oil pan brace, there is a couple of flat spots on it.

^ i wouldnt do it like that without spreading the weight out, its just a stamped steel oil pan, because the head of the jack is so small, it can easily bend the oil pan. hence why i recommened using the 2x6. it spreads the weight out really well, and you will have no worries.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM

^^^

i said oil pan brace and not on the oil pan itself... there is an aluminum brace just under the oil pan that connects to the tranny
Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 AM

alright well yesterday we managed to get the clutch and flywheel fully off, its abit more work then i imagined but at least the bolts arnt all impossible like the ones on the brakes,

and your notes helped SOOO much lol fing02.gif

my friend that was helping me, his dad got word of it and decided to bring a hoist from his shop, so it made removing the tranny and holding onto the engine pretty easy since we didnt have to use any jacks or have anyone underneath

comparision

one really crappy thing though... little sis thought she could fit with a scooter, ended up knocking alot of the bolts so we now got this one pile of assorted bolts and we gota put it all back together mad.gif

probably abit late to figure this out, but i have to bleed the clutch after this right? if so, how do i do it and do i need any special tools?