Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Jerky Auto Tranny

Old 07-22-2005, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K, so the tranny has always been jerky, and it never really smoothes out. I'll be driving under 3,000 RPMs and then I'll step on the gas just a tad and OOMPH it'll begin pulling. It seriously feels like a manual tranual sometimes? I was just wondering what different upgrades would cure this problem (besides a manual swap guys LoL) I would suspect that PULLEYS would be very helpful. How about a performance AT fluid? Do they sell any that're worth it? I heard headers really improve shifting, as well. I'll be getting 'em soon, thanks to wattsup!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 AM

I've never felt any problems on any a/t hyundai's that I've ridden, so there might be something wrong with your tranny.

Performance A/T fluids will destroy your tranny.

Just do a swap man!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Define jerky. Of course its going to jerk a little when your going under 3000 and step on the throttle, its going to downshift. Your going from having the throttle 0% to 50% or more and having it downshift.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:49 PM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka @ Jul 22 2005, 09:34 AM)
I've never felt any problems on any a/t hyundai's that I've ridden, so there might be something wrong with your tranny....

Could be, muh man. By a/t Hyundai's do you mean any RDTibs? Previous owner probably beat the living hell out of it. The guy wasn't even checking his fluids, c'mon now.

Ham, I guess that's what I'm trying to describe when I say 'jerky'. Whenever it downshifts, it's VERY jerky. Most autos I've driven are very smooth. **AUTO OWNERS CHIME IN** Whenever you floor it, it'll usually lag up to a second sometimes before it'll downshift and start pulling. I know I've talked to Zoned about this before...

Then again, Hyundai trannies are thusly: CHEAP.

On Tuesday the Tib is going in for maintenance. Seat belt recall (annoying) and the exhaust manifold. I'll talk to the mechanics about some of these 'problems' I'm having with the tranny. I'll probably make a thread on it to help some of you out who're having the same problems.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:44 PM

it's definitely not a good thing man. Get it checked and if there is really something wrong with it, just get a manual tranny.

I've driven in rd, XDs, accents.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

My auto is a little jerky nott bad at all extra .1 gs from gtech, but not that bad at all, I only notice it if I drive a manual then my car, the manual is much smoother if you drive it properly
Old 07-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Yeah, mine is a little jerky as well. I'm just going to explain the problems to the dealership and see if there's anything they can do. They might just dismiss the problems though and consider them normal..
Old 07-23-2005, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

QUOTE (2kShark @ Jul 22 2005, 07:49 PM)
I know I've talked to Zoned about this before...

Well, Zoned has a 5spd now wink1.gif.

QUOTE (2kShark @ Jul 22 2005, 07:49 PM)
Ham, I guess that's what I'm trying to describe when I say 'jerky'. Whenever it downshifts, it's VERY jerky. Most autos I've driven are very smooth. **AUTO OWNERS CHIME IN** Whenever you floor it, it'll usually lag up to a second sometimes before it'll downshift and start pulling.

Anyway, yes the auto was f***ed up. Sometimes when you floor it it will give you instant power and feel really nice and strong, other times it lags for I swear a WHOLE 1-2 seconds before it shifts, and then it sounds really crappy and feels jerky. I've heard this from every auto tib owner I've ever talked to, I don't think our trannies are getting old and were beat, I think Hyundai trannies blow nuts.
It's nice to have a 5 speed smile.gif

2kshark, if I were you I wouldn't waste my time/money on headers/pulleys/any other bolt ons because with the automatic you're still going to be slow as hell man..either send 'er to LevelTen, or get a manual. With a LevelTen AT you might actually have a chance at smooth/quick shifting, resulting in a big performance boost more than any bolt on. Only after that, should you start with the other mods. Otherwise, the more HP you put through your auto tranny, and the more you go WOT and redline it, the more f**'ed up the internals get, and the more chance that even a LevelTen AT will suck balls.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just tried and tried to feel it, at woot it isnt jerky, only when you let of in the middle of a shift
Old 07-23-2005, 06:48 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jul 23 2005, 06:43 PM)
2kshark, if I were you I wouldn't waste my time/money on headers/pulleys/any other bolt ons because with the automatic you're still going to be slow as hell man..either send 'er to LevelTen, or get a manual. With a LevelTen AT you might actually have a chance at smooth/quick shifting, resulting in a big performance boost more than any bolt on. Only after that, should you start with the other mods. Otherwise, the more HP you put through your auto tranny, and the more you go WOT and redline it, the more f**'ed up the internals get, and the more chance that even a LevelTen AT will suck balls.

LoL I'm still going with a TQ?=)

Well I already 'wasted' my time/money on Rside 4-2-1 headers but why not get the most out of the stock auto tranny while I still have it? I don't see how pulleys would be a waste at all.. it really smoothes out acceleration on all of the a/t Tibs I know of.

A friendly mechanic is going to help me install the torque converter/cooler once headers and pulleys go in. I gave ProTorque a call and they gave me all the info I could ever want on their TQ. With I/H/P/TQ I doubt I'll be slow as hell mang. ^__^