Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Issues...need Help...

Old 09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Ok...wonder if anyone might be able to help me out on this one. My clutch is shot to hell. For the last month or so its been getting worst and worst. When I press down on the gas even just a little bit, the RPM's would rise and I would go no where. So as you all know I ended up buying the new clutch and I also have a Fidanza flywheel too. I was supposed to spend the weekend installing everything, but something came up and I wasnt able to do it. So I'm going to be doing it Thursday, since I took Thurs and Fri off of work.

Well, today when I left work about an hour ago....I get in the car and I drive off. First thing I notice...practically no exhaust sound. When I press down the gas, the RPM's dont rise, but you can hear the engine rev getting higher. A little different than what it was doing due to the bad clutch. Also, theres this really weird sound now too. Almost as if theres no backpressure and the car just has absolutely no power what so ever. But like I said....theres absolutely zero exhaust sound now. I got under neath it when I got home to see if maybe there was a hole or something in the exhaust somewhere, but I didnt see anything.

Could this all just be from the clutch pretty much just giving its last dying moments? I just changed the plugs and and everything lately. There's no CEL on. Anyone have any ideas? sad.gif
Old 09-25-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well maybe. Change the clutch and see if it fixes the problem. Make sure the plugs/wires are set correctly, it sounds as if its struggling to get power which normally means a spark/fuel problem.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

The pitch of the engine has a very different sound now too when I do floor it. However, when I floor it now, the RPM's dont rise. The car just doesnt go, but you can hear the engine revving. I also noticed that if I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear and I give it a little bit of gas to bring my speed up, it seems to hesitate and jerk forward a little bit. I went out tonight and got some Fuel Injection cleaner and dumped that in the tank. Tomorrow gonna get some new plugs and wires just to be on the safe side. But I dont think its a spark issue other wise I would have a CEL, right? I just hope nothing bad happened to the engine some how. *knock on wood*
sad.gif
Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

Some reason it seems to me like your FW got fudged pretty bad and is causing probs, not just the clutch. Also pray to god your clutch didnt fall apart b/c I had to CUT off my old tranny to get it off so I could change the clutch and put in the new tranny. Your a bad bad person for doing that to your car! lol joke.gif
Old 09-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

My FW?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

I think he means flywheel (FW). What doesn't make sense to me is why the exhaust sound would change. If the clutch is slipping so bad the car won't move, the engine should be revving freely and the exhaust would sound the same. Are you sure you don't have some sort of exhaust blockage that is choking the engine now in addition to the clutch problem?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I changed the plugs and wires this morning and no change in anything. It almost sounds like a a very loud intake. When I rev the engine from the engine bay, its definitely sucking in alot of air, but like I said....theres practically no exhaust sound at all. The car has kind of a hard start up too. It still idles at 800 rpm, but it kind of spudders a tiny tiny bit. I took off the intake and put it back on, and it still does the same thing. This is really confusing me. When I drive the car and dont push down on the gas, it coasts fine. Its just when I try to give it any gas at all, it goes no where, the RPMs dont rise, and theres just no power at all.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Maybe you blew a cat? That usually causes choking problems, anything else in the exhaust, i.e a hole, would make it louder.

I never heard of the clutch/flywheel causing the problem you describe but i don't know. If your revving in neutral the transmission shouldn't be effecting it at all to cause a problem like that.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Try unpluggin your MAF - it might be bad. If its not reading the incoming air properly, it might be leaning out and then it would sound different shrug.gif
could also check your TPS, but i'm just guessing here - i dont know why your exhaust sound would change. if you blew a cat, doesnt it stink or something?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I just dropped it off at a muffler shop because they said it sounds like it could be a clogged or blown cat as well. They're gonna check it out and get back to me today and tell me the damage. I'll keep you all posted.

Muffler shop is about 99.9% its the cat. When you rev the engine, the flex pipe underneath before the cat is flexing and expanding big time. So it looks like the cat all blocked up. They didnt have the chance to throw on a new one tonight, so taking it there first thing tomorrow for a brand new one. Left the car there over night because I dont want to take a chance in driving it, if all that back pressure is building up. wink1.gif