Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Intake Manifold Gasket Change

Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to change the intake manifold gasket without totally removing everything on there? What I mean is can I just remove the bolts holding it to the block and slide it back far enough to slide the gasket in. I'd really rather not pull the fuel rail n such off just to change the gasket.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

uhm, possible, maybe, but honestly, it would most likely be easier to just take that stuff off, its really not as bad as it looks.

Just take off the return hose (one clamp) and unbolt the fuel line (10 or 12mm i believe) and thats it
Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Just remove it. I honestly can't even remember that step of it all and I know that I did it. It's such a simple step.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 AM

I guess I may just remove it. I've taken off intakes before but I figured if I could save some work then that would be sweet. I always make a mess bleeding off the fuel lines.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

don't forget the rags!!!

to catch come fuel that is....
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The only hard part is that damn bracket holding it to the block. That was the hardest for me and that wasnt even to bad. A ratcheting wrench works wonders for the IM
Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Report the thread with the broken pics, and PM Tiburonmoo, he'll fix it.

It's easy enough to do, just remove it.

To answer your question though, NO, you cannot replace the gasket without removing the manifold.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

The report button still does not work Zman, but Pm'ing Tiburonmoo should fix it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 AM

Ok guys, I got around to changing that intake gasket and thought I would let you know it IS POSSIBLE to change the gasket without removing everything from the manifold. I did not spill one drop of fuel or coolant doing this. I will tell you how:

Remove the IAC and that first part of the intake tubing that it connects to.
Pop off the two PCV hoses.
Remove the cruise control cable from the throttle and remove it from it's bracket.
Remove the 4 nuts holding the throttle body on and pull it to the side. If yours is sucking oil like mine you won't even rip the gasket.
Remove the bracket holding the injector wiring harness to the manifold on the passenger side.
Remove the one bolt holding the cam position sensor to the fuel rail and disconnect the cam sensor from the harness. Do not remove the the other rail bolt.
Remove the brace on the back of the manifold that bolts down the the bottom of the engine. There is no need to totally remove the bolts at the bottom, just loosen them enough to let it lay back against the firewall.
Pop the accelerator cable from the two brackets on the valve cover and push the cable back out of the way. No need to disconnect it from the TB.
Remove all the nuts holding the manifold to the head.
Push the manifold as far back against the firewall as it will go. You will need to push the injector harness down behind it to get that extra little room you need.
Rip old gasket out or it may just fall apart like mine did.
Insert new gasket. There will be just BARELY enough room to get it to slide onto the studs. Not much but enough room none the less.
Reinstall manifold onto head studs and reassemble reverse of removal.

All of the stuff I had mentioned above except removing the TB you would have had to do anyway if you were doing a full removal so this method does not require any extra work. Doing it this way allows you to not have to remove TB coolant hoses or spray gas all over the engine bay. It's a tight fit getting to all the head studs especially the top ones since the rail wasn't pulled but it is possible if you don't have sausage fingers. Reinstalling the second bottom manifold nut on the passenger side is a pain too because of the air conditioning hard line right behind it. Use some grease, vaseline, or RTV to stick the nut into a socket with a long extension to get it started back onto the head stud. Other than that it wasn't too bad. Hope this helps!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well of course you can. But that's not what you asked.

LOL

You asked if you could replace the gasket without removing the manifold. THAT is physically impossible.