Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

intake idea

Old 11-16-2001, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake idea

you know how the older neons and eclipse's have a bulge on the right side of their hoods? well that give me an idea, what if you just put a hood scoop on the side of your car where the intake already is, meaning on the driver side of the hood. does that sound crazy? will look crazy? or just too crazy to do? i wish i was good a photoshop so i could draw what i mean but i'd like to hear thoughts!
Old 11-16-2001, 07:42 AM
Red

Fluid dynamics prevents you from getting any real gain unless you place the scoop in very specific points. If you put the scoop right dead-center in the hood (ie the center of front-to-back) then you're not going to get much flow.

The best hood designs are with a scoop in the very back of the hood right almost against the window, and backwards-facing or flush vents just foward of the middle (back-to-front) of the hood.

This provides a scoop right where pressure is the highest, and a vent right where air pressure is lowest. This makes the air actually move through the engine bay "in reverse" and cool it off.

If you're looking for the best airflow for your CAI, the best mod would be a backwards-facing vent in the hood as I described above, but also with a functionl airdam underneath the car. Air will pass up from the airdam and through the vents in the hood (pressure gradient) and thus will A: cool your exhaust and B: provide cool air to a well-placed CAI.

But a scoop right there in the center will gain almost nothing. A Ram-Air WS6 Firebird Formula, due to incorrect placement of the "scoop nostrils", only gains about 5WHP at speeds above 100MPH. This is 350 cubic inches of domestic iron that needs a LOT of breathing room, and 5WHP is all they get at 100+ MPH.

Fluid dynamics is a bitch like that wink.gif

-Red-
Old 11-16-2001, 08:49 AM

thanks man!
Old 11-16-2001, 03:06 PM

i dont know if this sounds crazy but i was thinking that i would cut a line in the hood ,heat the fiberglass hood push the hood about an inch and half down and put a wrx grill in the place to make a custom hood.let me know what u think