Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Intake or Exhaust mods and AFR, why AFR should be adjusted?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Accent
Default Intake or Exhaust mods and AFR, why AFR should be adjusted?

i saw an old thread about adjusting AFR after Intake/Exhaust mods are installed.

now i do understand that those make the engine breathe in and out more easily - but i don't see how they make the engine to breath in MORE air.

the displacement is still the same and air is not forced into cylinders.

so why would we need to change amount of fuel supplied?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

The cost to benefit ratio of tuning a car with no real modifications other then a cold air intake and exhaust makes it a not worthwhile upgrade. However the exception is if you plan to competively race your car and that adjustment is allowed in the sanction body (SCCA does not allow this for most classes) or you are planning on turboing or making a superbad NA moter then installing the ecu that allows for such tuning maybe a worthwile pickup if you can get it done cheap. Otherwise do all the supporting modifications first suspension, brakes,mounts, etc, then upgrade to the ecu as all the others are noticable immediately. And besides the stock ECU will accomodate those basic upgrades. Yes ensuring you have the best tune for your cars setup fully utilizes all the upgrades you have performed but it comes down to is the cost worth the difference. IMO probably not with those limited upgrades.