Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Injen Style Intake = Backfiring And Crappy Preformance?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '97 hyundai tiburon fx

I had my car run on the diagnostic machince(no places close by with code scanners),and they determined I needed to replace/clean the above mentioned parts in my fuel system. I had my cai installed when they did the testing. After doing everything listed I took my car for a run and it ran great(well MUCH better) but on the way home it started acting up again,same symptoms. Won't rev past 4ish and no power at all,wot the whole time just to drive.

So I get the car back into the driveway dissconect the battery give the car time to cool down/reset the ecu and take it out again. This time the car had power after 3ish rpms but would bog and backfire like crazy after 2k rpms. So I took it home again and was told to take off the intake just for shits and giggles to see what it'd do.
Sure enough it seemed to help and the car ran almost mint, besides the semi rough idle.
I know the timing is off alittle no sure if it's advanced or retarded but it's off none the less. Would the timing being off cause the backfiring or does anybody know what else it could be?

Sorry for the lenghty post just wanted to be discriptive.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Check MAF and IAT?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Havent but if it was the ait or maf wouldn't it run the same with the stock intake and the cai?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Maybe you didn't plug it in with the Injen? Because there's no reason for a difference.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Try cleaning your maf with MAF cleaner, I usea have a similar problem where my idle was weird.

An intake should not cause your car to do any of the mentioned symptoms.

Why is your timing off JW?

I would suggest...

Check direction of maf

Clean the maf

Check the IAT

Check for Vacuum leaks
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

check for air getting in after the maf.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Everything was plugged in as I didn't want to miss anything stupid like that.
Not sure why the timing is off,something that was done wheni bought the car and I have no idea how to set timing.
Is there anyway to tell if the ait is bad by visual inspection? Doubt it but I'll ask anyway.
I'll have to try cleaning the maf, the arrow on the maf is pointing in the direction of airflow which I assume is correct.
I'll look into air getting in after the maf as well as vacuum leaks
Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

1st thing is make sure the MAFS is pointed the right direction. It's very common to have bad performance after an intake change by reversing the orientation of the MAF sensor.

It's also free to have a look at your spark plug wires. Pinholes or worn-looking spots, or discolored spots (especially white around a dimple) mean it's time for new wires. They can cause funny engine running.

HOW do you know the timing is off?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Maf sensor arrow is pointing in the direction of air flow which I assume is correct. The plugs we pulled just the other day and are brand new as are the wires.

I had the car run on a diagnostic machine and the mechanic checked the timing while it was in the shop.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Check you wires that go to your ecu, Long story, A wire that came un-taped, for my Aem FIC was grounding and creating weird problems like you have...

Worth a shot to take a look...