Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Individual Coils - How To Wire Them?

Old 07-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hello again everyone,

I am going to be getting individual coils, MSD Blaster SS's. I know it's overkill, but instead of spending money on new hyundai coils (my primary coils are double the specified resistance) I might as well spend the 175 on 4 blaster ss's. They will give me all the spark I could ever need with my turbo setup, and permanantly eliminate the possibility of a spark issue causing my misfire.

So, which wires could I get that would be slightly longer than stock. I would need them longer to reach the coils which could no way be as close to the plugs as the stockers. PRD wires? Are they longer? They are pretty cheap too so that is what I was thinking.

Also, how would I go about wiring the individual coils into the stock harness? Is it do-able? Or would I need to get a DIS 4 too? (I would get the DIS 2 but it only controls 2 individual coils so).

I know you all think this is totally unnecessary but it is what I want so please help me out. Although I might consider getting 2 coils with 2 outputs each so I can wire them into the stock setup easier.

I just got the idea of 4 SS when I saw a picture of i8acobra's accent, he had it done, so I know it can be done.

Also, are iridium plugs worth the money? Or should I just stick with my NGK v-powers?

Thanks in advance for any help guys. cool.gif
Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 PM

Bumpity bump, anyone ever considered doing this??
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

Seen it done on PSC's 900HP Beta 2 Tiburon Drag car.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Someone just posted about doing it about a week ago mang. I think it was DJALKYD.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 AM

Yeah, I found the post. Thanks redz. That is going to be one sick NA car. But it doesnt really give me any details on how to wire them up? I couldn't even open the pics so.. I got it that he's using a DIS 4, which I would expect I would have to use to get them to work. I can't see how I would wire 4 individual coils into the factory setup that is only designed to use 2 so.

Any suggestions on wires and plugs guys? Are Iridiums worth the extra penny? Are PRD's a bit longer than stock allowing some room for the farther away coils to be connected? I might just buy a kit and make my own MSD wires cool.gif .

If someone could give me some feedback on the NJK iridiums I would go buy them today as I am due anyway.

Thanks guys. smile.gif
Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

1. its NGK
2. IMHO i see iridiums as a waste of money
3. if it was up to me i would just get some $2 each copper cores

BKR5E-11 is the part number you want for copper cores
Old 07-19-2006, 02:23 PM

I have NGK V-Powers right now, do you think the copper cores are better? I know they won't last as long but if they are better than the vpowers I have no problem changing them every 10k.

thanks.