Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Increase Line Pressure (automatic Transmission)

Old 04-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to increase the line pressure of the automatic transmission? I hear that many companies recommend increasing the pressure if added power is being made, and considering im close to breaching the 350whp range i may need to do so. The bullet proof kit is being added shortly along with the torque converter, but does anyone know how to increase line pressure for the lubrication to assist in cooling down the tranny? I already have 2 automatic transmission coolers after the radiator, but I want more protection.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Can I ask why don't you do a manual swap? Since you have so much invested and your worring about your autotragic?

You got power, now feel it with a manual instead of an auto.

Sorry but I laugh when I see power and automatics in the same mix.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

All the guy is asking for is help..sure manual is better then auto but maybe he doesnt want to swap? confused.gif
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I haven't hearf of any ways that we can increase line pressure for an automatic. That is why I suggested the swap.

Maybe there is, but how many more coolers are you going to need? You really think that the auto is THAT reliable? I guess we'll have to find out.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

350 whp? DAMN, post some pics and dynos of this shit!

Anyway, I've never heard of anyone doing this before, and there's been LOTS of topics started on how to keep an auto tranny reliable (most started by me when I wanted to keep my auto, I have since gotten a manual trans though). If anyone knows, it would probably be Random, or maybe Airborne or Mad_john have something that they use over in Korea to do something similar to this.

Which torque converter are you getting? I would suggest one from LevelTen if you plan on it.

And of course the question that everyone else who replies in this thread is going to ask .. why don't you want to just swap your tranny to a manual? With all the money you've already spent on 2 coolers and a torque converter, you could have swapped and saved money and hassle. There was a guy on here just last week selling all the parts needed to do the swap (including the tranny, with only 25k miles!) for around $700.. There's also a DIY tutorial with pictures that takes you step by step HOW to go about the swap.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

hmm, never heard of the line pressure inccrease but if u do it, drop some info.

with the tranny cooler, do u feel a difference?

some people just cant afford or want to spend the time to do a swap...dude probabally have a reason to stick with auto..
Old 04-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

If this guy or gal is building strictly for the track then I would recommend an autotragic. Just gotta be prepared to dish out the dough to keep the tranny living long.

Much better for high HP forced onto a car that normally doesn't like high HP, and absolutely KILLER in bracket racing.

the bad part:

frequent ATF changes
keep it cool! (you cannever have too many coolers, lmao.gif)
torque convertor (got that under control)

maybe think about getting a new (bigger) ATF pan. I doubt they are out there for our cars but ideally something aluminum (weight) with fins to allow for better cooling and a magnetic drain plug for two reasons
-makes all the frequent changes you are going to be doing quicker and painless
-collect metal debris in the fluid (you can actually see it sometimes when you pull the plug)

to save your tranny, (if you are tuning) try and retard spark timing and/or reduce fuel delivery during the shift

to answer you question, LOL. I haven't looked into it with our cars. We were going to do this with our project car here with the racing club but the car has been put on hold for finals. lmao.gif owned.gif

A basic understanding of how line pressure is affected/controlled in an Autotragic is a start...

The Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid is used to control the main line pressure
The EPC creates and varies a torque signal pressure based on the torque load
The torque signal pressure acts on the main pressure regulator valve to control the line pressure (similar to modulator pressure)
The average current through the EPC is varied by the Transmission Control Module using pulse width modulation

A low average current results in a higher torque signal pressure and higher line pressure
A high average current results in a lower torque signal pressure and lower line pressure

I'm sure you can increase it electronically, if you have the "know how" ...
you may not even have/need to if you follow the basic guidelines to keeping your tranny alive throughout the beating I'm sure you will give it. wink1.gif
Old 04-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^What clutch? Its an automatic.

Where did you find this bulletproof kit and torque converter? Id really like to know since I have an auto..

Guys this could actually be interesting if he pushes more power and that tranny holds up fine..
Old 04-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

That was pretty informative Pat.

I personally would never reccommend Hyundai AT's. They're good for doing what they're meant to do, that is cruising on 130bhp, 3k rpms on the highway. Once you start adding power, they start slipping fast.

good luck though, I can't wait to see some pics of this setup.

and BTW,
you can never have enough coolers
.. soo true, lol.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

patreezy you sneaky bastard i see you edited that... wink1.gif

For folks who dont know, torque converter takes the place of a clutch in an automatic application.