Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ignition Kits, Why's and the Who's

Old 08-06-2001, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Kits, Why's and the Who's

I have been looking at a few of these. I am aware Jacob Electronics kits require there to be a distributor (as my mechanic told me) and we don't have them. However, the catalogue did mention that they did offer kits for cars without them. It said to call so I will do that soon. However, I talked to a guy at a local parts store and he said that the MSD ignition system was just a plain waste of money since the improvement is so negligable, that it totally voids the idea of purchasing it. Yet some recomended MSD because they are such a big name. And this shop guy sold them to just to cover that base.

But Jacobs gauruntees improvements... they even list that a car of the Tiburon's HP, you would see at least an 8.5 HP increase. Any comments?
Old 08-07-2001, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

When the Jacobs unit becomes available for DIS ignitions, it would require investigation...but they have been promising that unit for the 2.5 years I've owned my tiburon, and still have not released it.

The Stock Coils are adequate, but not great. The Libra Ralley team manages to get 400 HP out of the stock coils. That being said the MSD DIS-2 is the most common replacement used by fellow Hyundai members. I have yet to hear anyone claim HP gains with it, it is mainly used just to rid your self of the Stock coil packs that tend to go bad...and to elimate the ignition system as a potential HP bottleneck.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:02 AM

Well then I won't need to call then...

So I guess there are no real HP improvments with the MSD unit...odd, a salesman who told the truth...go figure. smile.gif
Old 08-07-2001, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Slipstream:
So I guess there are no real HP improvments with the MSD unit...odd, a salesman who told the truth...go figure. smile.gif

Thank him. If you need anything...buy it from him. Support him as much as you can. Those guys are damn hard to find!
Old 08-07-2001, 10:30 AM

Hey guys, I find an ignition system that maybe will make our engines rock a little more. Just look to this site (www.directhits.com) and see for your self. They have an ignition system for our Tiburons for only $200 bucks. This system use one capacitor in each sparkplug, it only use non-resistor sparkplugs and they claim that the system increase spark energy a lot times more than stock. I am saving money to try it sooner.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:52 PM

A good motto: "Keep your mechanic happy." The first upgrade he recomended upon seeing the Shark Racing Catalogue were the strut bars.

I have heard of direct hits but have not heard any screaming endorsements of them.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Noel:
Hey guys, I find an ignition system that maybe will make our engines rock a little more. Just look to this site (www.directhits.com) and see for your self. They have an ignition system for our Tiburons for only $200 bucks. This system use one capacitor in each sparkplug, it only use non-resistor sparkplugs and they claim that the system increase spark energy a lot times more than stock. I am saving money to try it sooner.

I would NOT reccomend this. This is the "Nology" wires under a slightly different principle. Their Theory is correct, but in an automotive appliction it does not work.

Their theory (and Nologys), is it is better to try to burn 100% of the Combustion charge as fast as possible, which would give you more power.(so they claim).

However, the combustion process inside of your engine takes place across a "flame front". And a "Bigger more powerful spark" will do NOTHING to make the flame front move faster. Air density, fuel density, and Combustion chamber temp, pressure and design affect how that flame front moves/travels....not how big the spark it.

After being stupid and buying a set of Nology wires...and not getting any HP out of them...I dug into the science of suck, squish, bang, blow...and bought books and read magazines.

These devices will not MAKE HP. A Jacobs or MSD unit that does continuious sparks across 20 degrees of crank rotation MIGHT produce a more complete burn, and thus more power, but one big "lighting strike" off the spark plug is not going to do it...
Old 08-08-2001, 11:15 AM

That justified my $25 a year. smile.gif

Its a good thing I don't subscribe to canabalism Random or I would nibblin' on your frontal lobe and aquiring your knowledge.

Is there anything ignition related that will booste HP and or torgue?
Old 08-08-2001, 01:39 PM

Yeah...squirt a little nitrous into your fuel injectors. he he
Old 08-08-2001, 01:51 PM

Let's say we wait until my warranty runs out...