Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Idling Issues, Had It Scaned.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Hi guys,
as I posted inthe past, my 98 tib has a weird idle issues for a while, with escalating rpm's. not always, but sometimes.

Today i visited the dealership, ans had them connect the scanning tool to check for problems...

Everything, including the tps showed normal values.

When I was there, car had no issues, but I was able to provoke it by touching the tps while the engine running, causing it to idle a bit like describes.

Even though the scanner showed nothing, does this mean the TPS is not good?

Thanks!!

PS, how much does you TPS costs? Is it the same in all the different tibs? I have a MAP based FX,Rev A. 1998 manual.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, what TPS do you have? I have a Keifco here I'll sell you for $20 plus shipping.

your TPS can go bad and not throw any codes, I know that for sure, as it's happened to me.

Try this, go out to your car, start it up, get under the hood and press on the TPS on the side, or try wiggling it some, if your car revs up or acts wierd, your TPS is FOR SURE toast. if not, it still could be.

let me know what TPS you have. Dae Sung = T3h Bad.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok feel like and idiot, what is the TPS? I tried to find the post about the abbr. but couldnt, and where is it located? sorry kind of a stupid question but im having the same problems. thanks!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Abbreviations are listed in the site FAQ.

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor.

A search for this would result in thousands of threads, and dozens of pictures.

it is on the side of your TB.

TB = Throttle Body.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I've got the exact same problem.

Here's what I've found so far..

The wires inside the harness connecting to the TPS have gotten frayed/corroded/are shorting out intermittently. I resoldered all of these. I don't think this is very common, this happened to me because after installing the Airram and a BBTB, you kind of have to "stretch" those wires a bit, since the Airram manifold is longer than OEM.

Secondly, I've noticed that the harness does not "clip" tight enough on to the TPS. Start your car, go under the hood, and move the TPS back and forth (between the front bumper and the firewall) you will see what I'm talking about. You can move it, and you will also be able to see your idle fluctuating as you do this. I have not found a solution to this problem yet.. I would imagine that under load and from driving, the TPS is moving quite a bit, which is what causes intermittent idle issues like this.

Try those and let me know what you find, maybe it was just me, or maybe this is a common problem?

I guess it could be just a bad TPS, but my TPS is new, just got it a couple months ago brand new, and since then I've never thrown a CEL for bad TPS...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Thanks guys. Will check for the TPS brand later today.

When I try tilting it back and forth, it does cause fluctuation. So, Is it the harness or the tps? I think that most of the movement that I generat in this case is on the harness to it.