Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I NEED OPINOINS ALOT OF THEM

Old 02-14-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED OPINOINS ALOT OF THEM

OK now that i have your attention. I recently just bought an engine for my tiburon another 2.0.
and ive been wondering if it will actually be worth building it up or should i just take that money and buy an 1st gen AWD TURBO talon,eclipse, or laser?

A first gen has 195 horse and takes very little to increase to 300. The biggest part being i am only an hour away from the dsm (Diamond Star Motors) plant so there is a very big following here and i have some really knowledgable dsm freinds. SO do i try and put the money into my car to get it to the same to run with these guys or do i just join these guys?

whats all of your opinoins? ask freinds and family I want all the input. I know my local hyundai-mitsubishi deler is excited that I am trying to beef up my tibby but wont give me any deals. poke
Old 02-14-2003, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

I think you should stick with the Tib. First off, you know what have you been doing to your Tib this past years and if something is worn, you know it is because you know your abuse to the car. If you buy a used car, you never know what the past owner's driving habits and you'll never know what part's giving up next. A total headache to repair and maintain.

Second, be unique! There are a lot of guys with fast DSM's but too few fast guys with Hyundais. Third, It's not that difficult to turbo our car. Very straightforward, IMO. Fourth, depending on how fast you want to go, it's inexpensive to turbo our cars. Buy part by part, less strain in your pocket. Or buy the CNK kit and a clutch and something to tune it and your set for 250 hp. That's a lot.

But it still depends on you. We can give our honest opinions but you are the one who will decide for your car. What do you think?
Old 02-15-2003, 04:26 AM

stay with the tib. the beta is a good engine to turbo (so is the 4g63). but talons are like mustangs, what's the fun in hopping one up? everyone has one, and the parts supply is endless and easy to get. if you're looking for an easy car to upgrade, the eclipse/talon is a good way to go because of the tremendous aftermarket support. the tib is gaining support, but mainly the v6 is benefiting (at least from what i've seen). if you are going to get an eclipse, just sell your tib and the extra motor and buy a gen2. they look SO much better than g1's. because you actually had to ask us what to do, leads me to believe that you're not completely dedicated to your tib, and that you might be better off with a car that's easier to upgrade beyond the basic bolt-ons.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It really depends on how cheap you can get the new AWD Eclipse, and how much you can get for selling your Elantra.

The AWD eclipse will ALWAYS be faster than the FWD Elantra....assuming the same HP levels. BUT, the elantra has the ability to carry 4-5 people in comfort...the Eclipse can't claim that.

It's a matter of what's important to you. I'll eventually sell my elantra...but only for another 4 door.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

He has a Tib, Random.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

DOH! Nevermind. In that case, forget the 4 door arguement!
Old 02-16-2003, 03:33 AM

Well I would only buy a 1st gen t/e/l the engines are built stronger than the 2nd gen. Secondly I havent given up on my tib. I have had it for 2 and a half years. I was the first one around this area to do anything to a tib including willing to buy one. And as being unique I have never had a car that everyone else had. I started in a 77 ford LTD with bright white paint, gold pinstripes, wired wheels, furred seat covers, and limo tint windows and it was a four door. But then in 1992 when I graduated I bought a mazda ex. cab and dropped her on the ground another unique item at that time in mid 90's in this area, I sold the truck and bought a supercharged cougar the ones just like the t-bird sc's which noone had, then i got into the rice age and bought two civic's a hatchback and a crx, but when everyone and there brother started to have one I sold them and went with the tibby! So being unique is not a factor.
I just dont know what to do. I want my tib to be fast but i dont have the 7 to ten thou it will take (meaning LSD,Haltech stand alone, Turbo, Full rebuild of engine, Perormance clutch, so onand so on) I have a freind that has a 1st gen eclipse It has different intercooler piping, bigger fuel pump, performance clutch, short shifter,different injectors, exhaust, rebuilt 16g turbo(he rebuilt the turbo and did all the work himself as would I) and when we dynoed it he had 346hp and 395tq at the wheels and only 3000 dollars invested 5000 if you count what he paid for the car. I want to build the tib i really do, BUT it wil take alot more to build it up than another I just want to know if people think it would be worth doing. Oh by the way that eclipse is his daily driver and he runs 18 pounds of boost. And in being unique I am also looking at 91-92 galant vr4.

Sorry so long but I had to explain my part.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:30 AM

well, just another point to consider might be that the awd drivetrain might be weak. i don't know much about the 1g t/e/l awd drivetrains, but i do know that most are pretty weak. i know a kid with a 1g talon who's broken 2 driveshafts because he launches to high in the rpm range. now, if you could beef up the awd system, that would be pretty sweet.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:46 AM

If my Tib took a dump I think i would go for a first or second gen talon. smile.gif