Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I Need A Dedicated Tuning Os.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I was talking about solid state drives in the same manner as he was. USB.

Regardless of what they say on MP3car, Card readers run on USB. A very small amount may have a special board built in, but I've owned 3 laptops and my current media center with built-in flash readers. They are all USB. USB 2 is slower then SATA1 and my old crappy laptop has SATA1. SATA is like 7 years old or so. They're now on the 3rd revision of SATA. USB 2 is not capable of transferring at the same speed as SATA. I don't understand how it could be faster in any manner.

I don't emulate Windows in Linux. I run Microsoft Windows in a virtual machine on my Linux computer. I run windows in a window. Basically, it's a ISO file on my hard disk that grows as needed. It takes about 6 seconds for windows to load after I hit the play button. I start it when I need it. It's just a fully self contained windows computer running on another computer. I only use it for my iPhone updates. It was not me suggesting emulation. I want a dedicated tuning soloution.

I've disabled the windows updates before and it reenables itself. Does disabling the service prevent windows updates from resuming in the future?

So far the windows 2000 solution sounds best. I just gotta dig through my stuff to find the CD and key.

Your Via, what are you running? SP3?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running Windows 7 on my 1ghz 512ram car PC. Initial boot up takes a while but after that I only use hibernate. Takes about 30 seconds to boot up from hibernate and Win7 Rocks with a Touchscreen! Both my tuner and OBD Elmscan run flawlessly side by side. smile.gif
Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

QUOTE (DTN @ Mar 24 2010, 05:01 PM)
for instance, newer SATA drives can handle up to 6GBps while USB 3 is 3GBps.

Dude why are you hung up on the specs for the interface? Do you really think a newer hard drive can transfer at 6Gbps = 768 megabytes per second?! Do you really think that they would be slowed down by an interface that can only handle 384 megabytes per second?! That is just the speed of the interface and doesn't mean squat because it's clearly not the bottleneck.

USB 2 handles ~60MB/s which is fairly close to what most hard drives (espcially laptop) can put out. Yes, modern non-laptop hard-drives can put out slightly more than that (80-100MB/s), but I doubt the disk your shabby laptop is even close to 60MB/s

Most (cheap) USB flash drives are slower than modern hard disks in terms of SEQUENTIAL transfer rate, especially on writes (although I'm sure more expensive, faster ones exist). However, they should be faster for random access since hard disks have slow access times (when data is spread out, they have to move a mechanical arm which takes 10-20ms each time). For boot up time, you don't read huge amounts of data but it's all over the place so random access matters more. That is why hibernation is usually faster than booting (on a hard disk) - you're reading more data but it's all neatly laid out in a sequential fashion. So it really might be faster to boot off an 8GB flash drive.

It would be a lot faster if you just reinstalled though smile.gif
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i use xp, sp2. you don't even have to disable the service, that is a bit extreme. just check the never install updates through the system section in control panel.

optimal transfer rates aren't always achieved and remember that hard drives have spin up times and seek times that are non-existent in all flash based drives.

and he never said usb at all. you are automatically assuming he means usb when he says flash or solid state which i'm telling you is incorrect. maybe he is using usb, but when people speak of booting off flash drives they mean compactflash or some other type of card, 95% of the time. creating bootable windows on a usb is pretty complicated, and not all devices support booting from usb.

i'm sure even your old laptops have a pcmia or express card slot or whatever they are called. both of those slots have tens of thousands of flash based storage options available for them, can almost always be booted from, and are either pci or pci-express. not usb.

post the model number of your laptop.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

There are also bridges card that allow you to use a standard compact flash card in place of an HDD through the IDE/Sata interface and are pretty quick and cost effective
Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 PM
DTN

Just to keep this updated...

I bought a $250 new netbook with slow-as-heck Windows 7 on it from woot.com
I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it
I threw away my old laptop
I bought a $40 Bluetooth OBD-II device
I've managed to establish communcations
Here's what I'm looking at right now:

I set up this:
CODE
adam@adam-netbook:/etc/bluetooth$ cat ./rfcomm.conf
#
# RFCOMM configuration file.
#

rfcomm0 {
# # Automatically bind the device at startup
bind yes;
#
# # Bluetooth address of the device
device 00:0D:18:B1:09A;
#
# # RFCOMM channel for the connection
channel 1;
#
# # Description of the connection
comment "CBT Bluetooth device";
}
adam@adam-netbook:/etc/bluetooth$
Then I tried this.
CODE
adam@adam-netbook:~$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:07:61:A5:3C:98 adam-desktop-0
00:26:BB:FA:5A:7C Adam Outler’s iPhone
00:0D:18:B1:09A CBT
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo hcitool cc 00:0D:18:B1:09A && sudo hcitool auth 00:0D:18:B1:09A
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo sdptool browse 00:0D:18:B1:09A
Browsing 00:0D:18:B1:09A ...
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo hcitool cc 00:0D:18:B1:09A && sudo hcitool auth 00:0D:18:B1:09A
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo sdptool browse 00:0D:18:B1:09A
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo hcitool cc 00:0D:18:B1:09A && sudo hcitool auth 00:0D:18:B1:09A && sudo sdptool browse 00:0D:18:B1:09A
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo rfcomm connect 0
Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to 00:0D:18:B1:09A on channel 1
Press CTRL-C for hangup
ATZ
AT Z
^CDisconnected
adam@adam-netbook:~$
But that didn't seem to communicate at all.

Then I noticed the /dev/rfcomm0 device was only present while I had the sudo rfcomm connect 0 command active.

So in another window, while I was connected, I tried this

So now I've got some form of communications...

CODE
adam@adam-netbook:~$ cat /dev/rfcomm0
>^C327 v1.3a
adam@adam-netbook:~$ cat /dev/rfcomm0
^C
adam@adam-netbook:~$ cat /dev/rfcomm0 &
[1] 2098
adam@adam-netbook:~$ echo ATZ >/dev/rfcomm0
adam@adam-netbook:~$ ATZ
>
adam@adam-netbook:~$ echo ATZ >/dev/rfcomm0
adam@adam-netbook:~$ ATZ
echo AT Z >/dev/rfcomm0
adam@adam-netbook:~$ AT Z
�
adam@adam-netbook:~$ killall cat
[1]+ Terminated cat /dev/rfcomm0

So that's where I'm at now. I've managed to get Ubuntu Netbook Remix to connect to my ELM327 Bluetooth device, and display ">^C327 v1.3a" which is not much yet, but I'm still working on it. After 7 hours of use, I ran out of batteries on my netbook 02.gif

This will be awesome once I get everything working. I plan on doing some programming and designing some applications.

making progress now..
CODE
>ATZ

ELM327 v1.3a

>AT@1
OBDII to RS232 Interpreter

GOT IT!!!

CODE
>01 00
SEARCHING...
41 00 BE 1F B8 10

>0001
NO DATA

>01 05
41 01 00 07 65 00

>010C
41 0C 0D 20

010C = request for Engine RPM

41 0C=response to my request for engine RPM
0D 20 = hexidecimal for 3360 and because our engines are read in 1/4 RPM increments.... 840 RPM! Woot!

ecu reset
CODE
>04

>
Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

so it's working just how you like? remotely resetting the ECU via bluetooth? Congrats on your success so far

What are your objectives from here? I can't wait until most cars use bluetooth to sync with home desktops and load music onto the car's harddrive
Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
DTN

Oh, it's not working nearly how I like, this is kind of a proof-of-concept. thing. I've got serial access now... I can't really read Hexidecimal efficiently enough to use it daily....

Now I need to get terminal access for easy data processing and manipulation. Then I will be able to select RPM, MAF and all of that other jazz. Then once that is complete, I will need to make a full program to support all of the features I want, which will most likely be programmed in BASH. Then I will make a program on top of that which will provide a GUI to read from the first program and send inputs. Then I will probly port the entire thing over to Android. Maybe create a minimal distribution where you just pop the CD into the computer, reboot, and it becomes a lean mean OBD machine

I don't see bluetooth as the way of the future... It's too slow. Considering wireless G is much faster and now they have Wireless N. For a generic input-output device, bluetooth has established itself as the industry standard for wireless replacement of standard input/output devices like Speakers, Microphones, Keyboard, Mouse and Serial ports. Wireless N is the way to go for large scale data transfer.

I'm pretty pumped. I'll be working on Terminal access tomorrow.

keeping this here for future use
CODE
sudo hcitool cc 00:0D:18:B1:09A && sudo hcitool auth 00:0D:18:B1:09A && sudo sdptool browse 00:0D:18:B1:09A
sudo rfcomm connect 0 &
DATA="`xxd -ps -l 5 "/dev/rfcomm0" `"

this is the bare bones initialization sequence for my OBDII serial port which will allow me to read and write from my OBD device which is /dev/rfcomm or link /dev/ttyS5
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

redface.gif I kept thinking "bluetooth 3.0" in my head and thinking about the amazingly fast speeds... then I read your reply and re-read my post and immediately realized I was thinking about "USB 3.0" .... I must've been in a drunken stupor
Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
DTN

alright! I now have a testbed where I can talk to my car!

CODE
adam@adam-netbook:~$ sudo ./obd2ner
Checking Dependencies
Dependencies Met
Initializing Com Port
Connecting rfcomm port to ELM device
Waiting 2 seconds for connection.
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Device or resource busy
Setting port specs
Linking /dev/rfcomm0 to /dev/obd
Opening /dev/obd port for writing
OBD 2ner console active>
atz
>atz

EL 327 v1.3a

at@1
>at@1
OBDII to RS232 Interpreter

>0001
SEARCHING...

I type something in, it then repeats what it received with a > in front of it, then it displays the requested data.

here is the code to work with my obd device. this can be adapted to work with anyone's bluetooth obd-ii device.

CODE
#! /bin/bash

####sudo check####
if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
echo "You do not have sufficient privlidges to run this script. Try again with sudo configure"
exit 1
fi

####set up devices####
myObdDeviceMAC=00:0D:18:B1:09A
myObdComPort="/dev/rfcomm0"
exitNext=""

#ExitPoint provides a way out of the program in the event of error if the exitNext variable is set.
ExitPoint () {
test exitNext = 1 && echo "Could not connect to Serial Device, possible causes are bad communication or no connection"
test exitNext = 2 && echo "please install package bluez-utils"
echo "$exitNext"
test "$exitNext" != "" && exit $exitNext
}

#checkDepends verifies packages are in place
checkDepends() {
echo "Checking Dependencies"
test `which hcitool`>/dev/null || exitNext=2
ExitPoint
echo "Dependencies Met"
}

#prepCom prepares the com port by initializing the bluetooth device and the serial port
prepCom () {
#initialize port
echo "Initializing Com Port"
hcitool cc $myObdDeviceMAC 2>&1 /dev/null && hcitool auth $myObdDeviceMAC 2>&1 /dev/null || exitNext=1
ExitPoint
#connect to port
echo "Connecting rfcomm port to ELM device"
rfcomm connect 0 &
#prepare port for data communications
echo "Waiting 2 seconds for connection."
sleep 2
echo "Setting port specs"
stty -F "$myObdComPort" speed 9600 ignbrk -raw -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel -opost -onlcr -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok echoctl -echoke time 5 min 1 line 0
echo "Linking $myObdComPort to /dev/obd"
test -s "/dev/obd" && ln -s "$myObdComPort" /dev/obd
}

mainLoop () {

echo "Opening /dev/obd port for writing"
cat -A /dev/obd | tr '^M' "\n " &

echo "OBD 2ner console active>"
while [ 1 ]
do
read userinput
echo -e ${userinput}"\r" > "/dev/obd"

#DATA="`xxd -ps -l 1 "$myObdComPort" `"
#echo $DATA
done

}

#Check Dependencies
checkDepends
#Prepare communications
prepCom
mainLoop

exitNext=0
ExitPoint

Next phase will be to redo this in java and create a GUI. I will be using this program for quick checks and data validation.