Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I Need A Dedicated Tuning Os.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I posted here: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...view=getnewpost But Jay-M has not answered and it's been a while.

I'm looking for a linux solution for my ELM327 reader because Linux is lightweight and quick booting. With the windows updates, it now takes my computer about 15 mintues before it's ready to read codes. I need something which I can use to read codes and check sensor values.

Does anyone have any suggestions other then reformat and disable windows update?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I didn't notice updates making windows boot slower..

Have you tried running a simple OBD2 program under wine? I hear it's gotten pretty good in the last years
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
DTN

Oh man my boot has gone from 3 minutes up to 15 in a few years. This laptop was great for obd 4 years ago but windows keeps slowing down

I may try that but then I have to basically load Linux and emulate windows on top of that. Any all Linux solutions?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yeah it does slow down in time but I don't think it's from the updates (at least not the 'important' ones, I only install those). A few years is definitely too long without a fresh install. I usually install all the important updates when I install windows and it doesn't boost slower afterward.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

If your laptop is 4 years old, I say get a new one and windows will be fast enough. Your comp is so outdated. Then again, anyone who bought a comp last week is pretty much outdated lol.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

yeah the computer i use for my OBD is so slow...but its all i use it for,

i bought it back in 2004...LMAO
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
DTN

That's why I am in search of a Linux solution. It took my old desktop from slow to fast and it still had all the functionality.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

hibernation resumes in less than a minute. can't use it?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
DTN

no. i leave this thing off for months at a time. Also, it takes about 8 minutes for hibernation
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

15 minutes? your windows install is screwed up. reinstall.

Other than that use sleep mode. Even with your computer acting weird it should be less that 30 seconds. With my experience with linux over the years my opinion is it's great for lots of things. But as far as ease of use and software/hardware compatibility it still has a ways to go and won't ever get there without manufacturer support. Any ways you aren't going to see tuning software coming out for linux from major places like aem, perfect power, etc. Just isn't cost effective. You might see custom made stuff later on but linux geeks usually aren't into tuning cars. Sometimes going against the grain isn't easy! And that's coming from a guy with about 1/2 the computers I own running linux.

edit: I was thinking the only place I could think might be interested would be mp3car and I was right! They have a good page here on it, still very little interest seeing the page has 7 replies.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/linu...dii-linux.html

And apparently scantool (what I use) comes in a linux variant. I can't find it on their site though. Did find source though.

http://www.thinkythings.org/obdii/ - linux version according to them
http://www.scantool.net/scantool/downloads...ostic-software/ - 1.20 source
Looks like it's written in c, you could probably compile it and get it up and running, then you just have to worry about drivers for your scantool.

double edit: that dash commander tool on their site seems awesome! it's making me thing about in car pc's again...

triple edit!!!!: forgot to ask, what are you laptop specs? with updates xp uses ~300 mb just sitting there so if you have 256 or even 512 that might be the reason for your slowness. I'd bump it up to 1gb and reinstall then just use it for tuning if you have another daily laptop. Man, my 4 year old laptop I use everyday don't take more than a minute or two to boot up cold and it's running vista. Actually if you only using it for tuning and not connecting it to the net then just uninstall all those updates, or clean install from a sp1 disc, and disable extra software and you'll be back down to 100 mb idle territory.