Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I have no idea!!(tranny??)

Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please someone help!

I get in my 1st Gen,...

press brake + release the parking brake, Shift into D,

And nothing!!! - it felt like i was in neutral. I was like " NO!!"
so i put it in Reverse,...No problems - it goes in gear.

I switch back to D, then after about 3 seconds i feel it go in gear. So i say "ok please never do that again to me baby!".

then when i was driving to get my new K&N drop in filter i put the pedal to the floor to pass this car, it reached about 5k and just vvvrrroooommm!! it just Revs as if i had it in neutral!!!(while i was still trying to pass a car)then i let off the gass, and the rev's drop down, and then it when back into gear WTF!!??

I am scared that my Tranny is F***ed!
could it be a TPS plug problem???, or maybe i lost some gears??

I am at a total loss here,
please help me 02.gif

I live in Ontario - is there a place that would be best to take my car too?, like Canadian Tire? , or Mr. Transmission??

1997 Tib (1.8L)
182,200km
Old 09-20-2003, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tib

mine did the exact same thing then it wouldn't go into overdrive and i had to get it rebuilt your future doesn't look good sorry
Old 09-21-2003, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Tie rod - Tranny Removal Help

Sounds like a good time to do the Manual swap mang.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:20 AM

autos are seldom subtle when they decide to pack it in. Sorry man.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:37 AM

^ yeah, ...
well I put my baby in the shop 30 minutes ago, and now i play the waiting game.
said they cant do trasnmission work at that particular shop (Canadian tire) so they will take it to the other shop tommorrow - im not fond of having my tib sit in the parking lot all day (yes i am overprotective!! LOL)
he assured me that they will bring it in at closing time, then tommorrow tow it over to the other shop to check it out (im also not fond of towing my baby either! LOL)
I miss her already 02.gif

oh well, she needs to get better so i will play the waiting game, and update you people as this saga continues.
- Chris
Old 09-21-2003, 08:43 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Ok man,

Read this slowly so you can get the full emphasis of what I'm trying to say. When your tranny does that once or twice, this means its telling you to start saving for the funeral, now look, this happened to me man... TWICE. And not twice on the same tranny. Back in the ultra noob days this happened, I went for months without my car (which is what this first little adventure you going on is) Then Hyundai took 2600US for new parts, dropped it in and it was fine, oh and they charged a few hundred for labor at the shop I took it to. So in one year since they needed to update the TCM in mine and didn't, Same thing, it happened once or twice already, took it to hyundai, "Oh, yeah, well, ahh, its warrenty is 1 year or 10000 miles, looks like your not covered on either, so, Ah, No problem just drop us another 35 hundo and we'll get her back on the road"...

YEAH **** YOU BUDDY!!! I say, then go spend a 1/6th of that and get a fiv speed in there. Its my favorite story aside from long awaited Rebirth of my tibby a few months back.

So in two words... You're ****ed. But it can be a blessing in desguise and you'll end up with a better car out of it, not much work to do either. Anyone can do it and you'll love yourself so much after your done. You'll get lots of help from us on the boards and plenty of credit for it. My friends wont shut up about when talking about what work I've done to other people, its hilarious.

Oh yeah and incase you think getting the auto fixed from the dealer would be best, that tranny cost as much as your whole car now based of Kelly Blue Book prices. Just food for though.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks alot for your comments guys, about the manual swap: I've never driven manual before, and from what i've been told its really easy but im not sure if its for me at this point in time. I would like to learn how to drive manual in the future - but with winter comming up i dont think this is the right time for me to start learning how to drive it let alone in the winter as well.

I will seriously start thinking about a swap for the future - thank you guys.

it kills me when i hear about these tranny stories - cause i see what you paid out for the work, and im just like "F*** ME!"

I know i'll be grabbing my ankles on this adventure.
This is my first car and i love it too much to let it die.I am starting to prepare myself for the shock of hearing how much this is going to cost me.
right now i have like $900 (LOL, god help me!!!)
but i'll get the money some how - even if i have to whore myself!! LOL
I was planing on tinting my ride,and getting rubber and rims - but that doesnt look like its happening any time soon.

Oh well, ...back to grabbing my ankles tongue.gif
Old 09-21-2003, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's very easy to drive a manual. You just gotta learn. I'd kill myself if I drove a auto my whole life. You gotta learn sooner or later, learn now man. Really.

Get someone to teach you in a big open lot, have at it and just don't go to fast. You'll love some of the stuff you can do.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:20 AM

Manuals are like Tai Chi.. easy to learn.. a lifetime to Master. Like anything else in the world, the more you do it.. the better you get. Just be prepared to stall a few time and bounce the engine off of the limiter a few more. Oh, and btw.. I know this from experience with a friend who went from an auto to a stick.. it is NOT a sin if the engine goes over 4500 rpms.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:53 AM

*Sigh*
Just got a call back, the tranny is toast.
and needs a new one, they said it would be about $2,000 (exactly what i expected)
So i asked them to find a reworked tranny for me - said they will look for one.

*sigh*