Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

I apologize if this is a stupid question but

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Accent
Default I apologize if this is a stupid question but

are there any mods you could do that would actually DECREASE horsepower and torque numbers, or would pretty much every single mod you do increase power, even if it was just 1 HP? dunno.gif

I know its a stupid question but I was reading some old Import Tuner magazines and I saw how they did tests on multiple types of add ons parts and some of the parts actually made the car lose torque numbers but increased HP. So i was wondering what kind of things to stay away from that would make the car lose power.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yes it is possible, and even common.

I thought we had a "This is all crap so quit asking about it" sticky, but I can't find it.

Anything that logically restricts the flow of air into the engine or out the exhaust will generally decrease power. Other than that, it's usually a case by case basis, but feel free to post asking about any specific part if you are wondering.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 03' hyundai tiburon 2.0L

well if you put one of those really HUGE 747 wings on the back of your car for "downforce" that will create alot more drag and slow you down... most mods will increase your HP if theyre quality mods.... ie.. intake exhaust, headers, forced induction..... but there are a few ebay items that you need to watch out for.... like the "E-supercharger" its supposed to increase hp but your engine will draw more air in naturaly without that stupid invention

please mod responsibly and search before you buy smile.gif
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

They've been testing CAIs on the Turbo Gen Coupe and found that some give 6hp overall, and may see a 20hp jump in some of the ranges, but it actually decreases overall torque