Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hyundai and Kia engines

Old 09-12-2002, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 hyundai tib
Default Hyundai and Kia engines

Alright so I working in a new Kia dealership now in the Parts dept. Ive been boning up on these Kia engines and it seems for the most part the new models are all Hyundai just with different trim.

Optima= Prev. Gen Sonata complete with Delta engine just with lower CR to have less output (178 hp vs. 181 hp)

The Sedona minivan and the new Sorento both will have the Sigma 3.5L borrowed from the XG350.

The only discrepancy is with this talk of the new Spectra having a Mazda Engine.
The Spectra 1.8l is 1793 cc with a 9.5:1 CR and 81x87mm bore/stroke....now correct me if i'm wrong but those sound alot like the Beta 1.8l just with a lower compression ratio to reduce output. The lower CR would also account for the 4cc loss from the 1797cc of the 1.8l beta.

If that is true then that just means good things for Kia owners..

BTW, the Sportage is going away in a yr or 2 to be replaced by the Sorento.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:24 AM

i emailed kia customer service about my engine and they wouldnt spill any beans on what mazda engine it is ...what type of car it was in when it was a mazda or how much hp the tranny can handle before it breaks. If possible can you find that out? and if it is the same as the beta then cams and pistons for a beta should fit then right?
Old 09-16-2002, 03:27 AM

Vehicle: 00 hyundai tib

I did some checking in the Service Manual and took a look under the hood. It says the Engine is a Kia T8 Dohc. And it's not setup anything like the Beta. Oil filter comes off the oil pump on the back side of the engine, the Ac compressor and alternator are in different locations and that was just what i could see immediatley.

Looks like something else, could be a Mazda t0o badd. frown
Old 09-16-2002, 02:32 PM

Soon the left over Mazda/Kia engines will be replaced with the Hyundai engines. It makes no sense to keep using different engines, now that Hyundai owns Kia. Hyundai will continue to kill Kia models and replace them with rebadged Hyundais. They killed the Kia/Lotus Elan a handful of years ago... they will continue the trend.

The Sorento is a very nice looking SUV, quite a bit bigger than the sportage. I wonder if they will put the V6 into it. They only run diesels here in Korea.