Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How Long Did Your Clutch Last?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Just wondering. I'm a slow and soft driver and my clutch currently has 100,000 miles on it. I don't know if it's psychological or if it's the car but it feels weaker. For you regular and soft drivers, how long did your clutch last?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

i changed mine at 100k and it was still good, no signs of slipping or anything.

OT... my sister have a '00 civic hb and after 10 years of ownership it still have the oem clutch. it all depends on how you drive, specially if the driver "rides" the clutch pedal while driving.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

My parts car had the OEM clutch at 165,000 miles. Not much meat left and it was well glazed, but they reported it was driving normally.

A full tune-up is in order if you haven't done one recently. All those little "it's only 1-5% performance lost" parts add up.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM

OEM Clutch 265 000 Kms, never noticed any slipping.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Stocker @ Mar 4 2010, 10:47 PM)
My parts car had the OEM clutch at 165,000 miles. Not much meat left and it was well glazed, but they reported it was driving normally.

A full tune-up is in order if you haven't done one recently. All those little "it's only 1-5% performance lost" parts add up.

That's what my clutch looked like after 10,000 miles with nitrous. But seriously...

Really, the clutch only wears a bit. most of the wear is in the break-in period when it squishes down and puts a glaze on it. A glaze is a good thing. it's what keeps metal from wearing. It's an oxidised layer. I've changed my clutch a bunch of times. Trust me, they always look like they don't have alot of meat on them. They only start with about 2 mm of meat, then after break-in, 1.5mm of meat and should have a glaze.

Our cars have good clutches.

If you want a better clutch, I'd recommend the perfection clutch from Advanced auto parts. $250. Organic clutch with a increased force pressure plate. This means it can handle more power, drops harder, and can still feel like a automatic engagement.

I've had 8 clutches. 6 within 60,000 miles. I replace them at the first sign of slipping. It's easy to make the stock clutch slip, but it's grip comes back after 400 miles of easy driving.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

When dropping that much on a clutch I'd rather go with a well known company like ACT, centerforce, southbend, etc.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 AM
AcN

factory clutch, 308.000Km, until the whole engine died on me because of a damn oil leak... (and that's why i think all manufacturers should put an oil pressure gauge in their car...). Had no slippage, but a strange thing happened to me for the last 5000 Km, the clutch pedal was like "free" from anything, i felt nothing when i was pressing hit, and the clutch didn't react anyway...

Anyway, will swap with another beta I engine (by the way, i've searched throughout the forum, and didn't find anything about which gaskets are to change in the engine that hasn't ran for... 3 to 4 years...), will put an Exedy clutch laugh.gif
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 AM

The only things that have been changed on mine are maintenence, tune-up, brakes, front bearings and both axles. My clutch has just recently started going bad after 210k. Its really surprising to me considering how a lot of people feel about Hyundai and Kia. Many still consider them disposable. Since I've owned this one though I've been proven wrong on many occasions.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (AcN @ Mar 11 2010, 02:20 PM)
factory clutch, 308.000Km, until the whole engine died on me because of a damn oil leak... (and that's why i think all manufacturers should put an oil pressure gauge in their car...). Had no slippage, but a strange thing happened to me for the last 5000 Km, the clutch pedal was like "free" from anything, i felt nothing when i was pressing hit, and the clutch didn't react anyway...

Anyway, will swap with another beta I engine (by the way, i've searched throughout the forum, and didn't find anything about which gaskets are to change in the engine that hasn't ran for... 3 to 4 years...), will put an Exedy clutch laugh.gif

how often did you check the oil level?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 AM
AcN

quite often, i change my oil every 5k miles (yeah i know, some people here and there do at it 3k miles ^^), so the last change oil was 3 months before my car died.

Actually, what screwed it up was a humpback (dunno if it's the right word in english ^^) which was temporary for the duration of some summer roadworks... And it kinda blew my oil can (well, at least the gaskets) but i couldn't notice it sad.gif you got the story smile.gif

I miss my 20€/full tank tib... >____