Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How To Hook Up An Oil Catch Can..

Old 02-08-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent

Ok i'm NOT a noob and a very good mechanic, now i bought a oil catch can, and i'm trying to hook it up, CAR IS BOOSTED, now i took my pcv valve out completely and the other fitting next to it i hooked up to the catch can, and run the hose from the can to the intake, that i know, btu should i plug the open pcv vave or do i have to run both lines to the catch can? you can see in this pic the blue tank on the right hand of the picture, and follow the blue hose to the pcv valve area...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dear god no plugging. Don't do that.

To be honest, the best way to do it if your going to use a catch can, is to route both PCV to the can, and then run the other line to the IM. That way it has some draw to it, and most of the oil/oil vapour is going to condensate and get back to the motor, especially with how humongously long your catch can lines are.

I'm running mine completely open, although I've read here and there that having some vacuum (i.e, draw from the IM) helps pull the PCV open.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

Since you have taken the PVC out just run the one line to the can and leave the other side on the can open unless you have a filter on top of it to vent. And then just take the other side off the VC and run it to the ground.

I will be putting up a detailed write up on the catch can setup within the next couple of days.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it would make sence to run it back to the low pressure side of the intake so you're not wasting the extra fuel. I don't know if the contaminants would harm your turbo, but it will help, if not, just make the inside of your piping goopy. You should run it with a filter at least.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 02 Accent

i'll take another picture later, but since the pcv port is open its spitting out misted oil while i drive and theres a coating of oil all over my airram, 02.gif
Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
I've got mine setup like so.

1. Replaced the PCV with a brass fitting.
2. Routed both vent lines to a T and to my catch can.
3. Placed a filter on the output nipple on the catch can.

Car runs fine, but i seem to get a pretty decent amount of oil in it, not to mention the same problem as you, oil vapor condensing ALL over the hoses in the engine bay.

There has to be a better way to set this up.

I'm thinking of doing the PCV back to stock, running a line from it to a inline filter, then back to the intake. Then run the other vent line to the catch can.

I dunno.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Rather odd, I run both open and have no oil residue at all hardly. The outside of the PCV is moist from oil, but its not like I can tell its gotten on my Air-Ram/fuel rail/whatever.

And if they weren't working and not opening I'm sure I would've nuked a turbo seal by now.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM

The thing that's strange too, is I have spring clamps holding the hoses on to the fittings at the valve cover.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Feb 9 2007, 04:18 PM)
^^^

1. Replaced the PCV with a brass fitting.
2. Routed both vent lines to a T and to my catch can.
3. Placed a filter on the output nipple on the catch can.

This is the correct and best way to setup up a catch can especially for a boosted Beta.

Although a T may not be needed if your catch can has 2 nipples to support 2 lines. And Has a Breather port somewhere on the can Preferable on the top and with a filter on it.

Also don't forget to Cap of the port on the intake manifold or you can use it for a boost/vac reference.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM

^^^
Yeah, you gave me that idea, the car runs great like this, but the mess in the engine bay, WTF is that coming from?

My catch can has 2 holes up top, so I don't know how else I could hook it up.

I've got pics of it in my photobucket.