Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How Do You Change Your Transmission Fluid?

Old 06-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody have a link to webtech with info?

ps- its a 5-speed
Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?s...=6806&hl=lucas
Old 06-01-2005, 03:48 PM

If it's a manual it's gear oil
If it's an automatic it's trasmission fluid

You don't want to put Dextron-II ATF into your manual transmission
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 PM

on tiburons at least, ive known a few cars that take atx in the mtx trans, mainly alot of mazdas.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

are you serious????? shit i bet i DO know what the hells wrong with my tranny!!! mad.gif damnit
Old 07-31-2005, 06:42 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have close to 100k miles on my Manual Tranny. I change the Tranny Oil every 30,000 miles with Conventional Citgo 75w90 gear oil. My Transmission is still smooth. But for peace of mind.. i bought some AMsoil Severe Use Gear Oil 75w90. I'm hoping it will do better on my transmission.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 2.0L

does anyone have a link to how to change your transmission fluid in an automatic 01 tiburon. i checked webtech but couldnt find instructions on how to actually go about changing the fluid.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

I don't have a link for any instructions and my Tiburon had a manual transmission but my wife has a 99 Elantra with auto which would be the same transmission that is in your Tib and I have changed the ATF in that.

The first thing I would do is get an AT filter kit from the dealer or elsewhere. It contains the fluid filter and the pan gasket. The ATF change is pretty much like an oil change except you have to drop the pan to change the filter and you will be adding the new fluid through the dipstick pipe so make sure you have a small funnel that will fit in there.

There is a drain plug in the transmission fluid pan the same as the oil pan so you start by removing that to drain out the old fluid. The drain plug has a crush washer but it is larger than the oil drain plug washer so if you want to replace it get that from the dealer before you start as well. I just chose to flip it over and reuse it.

Once the old fluid is drained you need to remove the pan. There is a series of 10 mm bolts that must be removed to do this. Once the pan is removed you can replace the filter which is attached with one bolt. You will need to clean the inside of the pan and clean off any old gasket material from the lip of the pan. Be careful not to damage the gasket mating surface. There are a number of round magnets in the bottom of the pan which should be removed, cleaned off and reinstalled. There are dimples in the bottom of the pan where the magnets go so there will be no question about that.

Once done with cleaning the pan and ensuring the mating surface of the pan and transmission case are clean you can go ahead and reinstall the pan. I used the fibre gasket that was included in the filter kit and it worked well and does not leak. Ensure the bolts are properly torqued as per manufacturer specs. You may warp the pan or even worse, break the bolts off if overtightened. This won't be an issue if you have the proper torque wrench.

Finally you refill the transmission using the proper fluid meeting the SPIII specification. If I remember correctly you will need around four quarts. I chose to use Amsoil synthetic ATF. The ATF change was done about 2.5 years ago and the fluid is still performing well.

Hope this helps you out!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Bravo rallyman but let's be quite clear because it cannot be over-emphasized enough:

RD platform Hyundais with automatic transmissions ABSOLUTELY MUST use the proper-spec fluid. Use of 'whatever jiffy lube had in the hose coming down from their ceiling' will (will, not might) eventually lead to complete failure of the clutches in the transmission. Use the right fluid. Amsoil might make one but you are sure to get the right stuff if you get it from the Hyundai dealer when you get your filter kit and drain plug gasket.

Also note: it will turn brown quickly (<15,000 miles) because these transaxles run too hot. For longest-possible service life, you will want to install a transmission oil cooler with a thermostatic control.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 2.0L

thanx a lot guys. I decided to just go get the ATF from the Hyundai dealer in Flushing. they asked ~7 / quart (which seemed a bit expensive) but the alternate was synthetic which was 9 something a quart. Any recommendations on a good filter kit?