Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How To Do A Beta Wire Tuck

Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to clean up my engine bay, im going to be putting the battery in the back. I need some tips on where to put what wires, how to relocate canisters etc. The fuse box is what has me stumped, where can i put that where it cannot be seen.

here is a pic of a members engine bay in which i would like to mimic.

http://a16.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images...3691b3045f7.jpg

pics with illustrations would be awesome, but any help is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would love to do something similar. I don't have space in my trunk for the battery, and I like my power steering. I'm going to be working on cleaning up some wiring though. The wiring in that engine is atrocious, open to air with no protection, and most likely will last a couple of years before rotting away. Make sure you don't just remove all of your loom if you do this. Replace it all with something.

It looks like the fuse box was mounted where the battery used to be.

The overall look is clean but the wires need to have something done to them.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

wire tucks are nice but a full one like that WILL lead to wiring issues. why do you think a memeber who went thru all that work isnt still around....,.

im in the process of doing some tucking but i will not touch electrical wiring with the fuse box because i want my car to still be running in a few years
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

THe guy in that pic still has his power steering, it's the coolant that was moved.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

You guys can move anything anywhere and as long as you use your head while you're doing it you'll be fine. I dont see how moving the box WILL lead to problems? I rewired every single sensor and relay in the car, from the bare frame up, and the car runs great. You could seriously made a new compartment for the fuse box that completely relocates it, and it'd still run perfectly. Its just making sure you take into account water getting to it, which really only means sealing off the compartment you make with silicone or something similar. It'd be great to see some hyundai guys actually following tried and true trends like the roadster guys, or just the mainstream tuning crowd. Go for it guys!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Word. Nothing is wrong with moving wires around and relocating components. Just remember that the manufacturer put coverings on wires for a reason. They're not meant to be pulled on without the looms. Looms should be mounted. Also, corners can wear on wires. Always use proper techniques and use your head. There's nothing wrong with relocating things, but do it right, not like that picture where the wires are all just hanging out and will corrode.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

my best friend did a full tuck on his crx when he did b18 swap and he moved EVERYTHING to the side. and made sure to soder and wrap all the wires and it still has problems to this day. i've heard of similar things happening to my other friends. i'm not saying do some tucking, but just be careful what you choose to get rid of because it can cause your car to not be healthy
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I don't see why you'd want to move stuff around. The engine bay has a lot of room and is easy to work on stuff as it is.
Cleaning up some of the wires doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I don't really see the need to relocate the fuse box or battery. Seems like a lot of extra work. Clean up the wires, and buy the fuse box cover to make it look nicer.
I also would bet that if you do a serious tuck like that one that you will probably eventually run into problems, just because that is such a large task, that you will inevitably make a mistake or two, and that will probably come back to haunt you.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

a wire tuck is done to make the bay look clean, so people can look under the hood and just see whats important, not a bunch of spagetti.

if done right, you wont run into ANY problems. just make sure you use the proper gauge wire and solder/test EVERYthing so you dont end up with a mess at the end.

relocating the fuse box like done in the pic, wouldn't be very hard and would look great. i would also paint the fuse box to blend in. those fuse box covers are ugly as hell IMO. a 1/16" thick piece of acrylic that glues/tapes onto the top of stock fuse box.. yuk..

i just painted mine and had a diagram taped under the cover of which fuse was which.

it will probably take a TON of time, and cost a decent amount of money to do it right though. i always thought about doing it to my tib, but i could never justify the countless hours it would take to do it right..

you would need to solder, shrink wrap, and then tuck every wire away somewhere.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM

well im not really talking about doing a massive wire tuck job. just doing moving the BIG objects like the window washer fluid canister, PS canister, Battery, Fuse box, etc.

i just thought it might be something i could for on for an hour every here and there. im doing my interior really soon so im moving the battery, jut thought i would clean up everything else while im at it.

OT but the one seater one pice conversion will look sweet with the battery(red top) in the back corner and im doing a bass boat style compartment where the back seat dimples are, which will hopefully one day in the future house a ZEX wet shot system.

but if anyone gets around to moving the fuse box or battery before i do, let me know how it goes and what parts im going to need. im using 4G wire to move the battery, i thinkt hat should be sufficient.