Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How difficult is it to swap a new catback myself?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib/03 Silverado
Default How difficult is it to swap a new catback myself?

Just picked this up for literally next to nothing from a guy on craigslist

http://www.amazon.com/OBX-Type-R-Exhaust-H...2038&sr=8-6

Now the next step is installing it. I'd really like to do it myself to save the ~$75-100 the mechanic would charge. I don't have any jack stands or "pits" that I could use. For oil changes and all, I've been just using the tire change jack and haven't had any problems with that. How difficult is it to install this thing myself? Is it true it's 100% complete bolton? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

First, you're absolutely nuts for climbing under a car using nothing more than the tire change jack! Go to walmart. You can geta 2 ton hydraulic jack with stands for $40. As far as doing this yourself, it's pretty straight forward. Seeing as your ride is a 2000, i'd suggest a can of PB Blaster to loosen up any rusted bolts along the way. Should take you about an hour to do on your own.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, please do yourself a favor and get jackstands. I had a Blazer fall because it wasn't supported properly, and I had only been out from under the front rotor for a couple of minutes when it fell. The rotor was embedded to the hub in the ground after it fell. There is no question that I would be dead had I not been thirsty and gotten out to get a drink. Also, a friend of mine (HA user wilburisthecoolest) is recovering right now from several broken ribs and a broken wrist from a trailer that wasn't properly supported falling on him. If it would have been a few inches over it would have crushed his head. I don't mean to rant, but this will catch up with you eventually and it won't be pretty.

As long as the catback fits correctly you won't have any problems installing it. I had to bend my SSA catback some to get it to fit right.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

agreed with the two before me...also plastic ramps can be very helpful while working underneath the car, i use mine all the time. i also got a set of metal ones for free, but the angle is too steep and the tib rubs on em. These plastic ramps can be cheap ass hell too