Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

How To Detect A 1.8l Cam

Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend bought an 01 tib, it had rims, intake, exhaust, and it always ran really good, it pulled stronger than my 98 and I couldnt figure out why, I was tighening the AC belt the other day and I found an underdrive pulley. I didnt think the previos owner was this dedicated, it got me thinking about what else he might have done, I got a 1.8l cam for her but now im wondering if it already has one, how can I tell? I would prefer not to have to open up the valve cover if i dont have to, if I do, how do I tell the difference between the cams?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 AM

as the intake cam is totally enclosed in the head without even a cam belt wheel to show for it's existance.. you can't. You need to pull the cam cover and take a look.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Just take the valve cover off. It's like 8 bolts.
as far as telling the difference, there might be markings on the cam. Or else you could use a caliper and measure the cogs.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

take the cover off and get a new gasket for $20 while you're at it. while you're also at it, you can install the cam if it's not already in there.

probably pulls because it's a newer engine. when our engines get older a bunch of oil gunk clogs it up. mine does the same thing, it just didn't pull enough compared to my sisters both 98 and 00 tiburons. reason? high mileage. i also think the gear timing on the computers was better.

it also might have to do with your evap cannister. you might have a leak somewhere and not even know it. if you have an automatic, you can tell even better. go to the dealership and get your evap system checked out and repaired under recall. it has to do with the fuel pressure.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 PM

Well, arent you guys just full of helpful information. Open the valve cover and look....... for markings....... of what? Measure the lobes with a calipre....... What will the measurements of a 1.8 cam be? whats a 2.0?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 AM

hey.. you wanted to know HOW to figure out if you could tell what cam it was without opening the cover on the head.. and the answer is NO.

After that comment of yours, even if I had the part numbers infront of me, I would be hesitant to offer them. I do NOT care for sarcasim when I was trying to be helpful and answering your question.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra