Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Horsepower in Greece??

Old 11-27-2001, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower in Greece??

I am completely confused on what is given as power by the guys from Greece. This maybe a cause for all the confusion.

First, Is the power given at the crank/flywheel or at the wheels?

Second, What kind of dyno are these runs being made on?

Does anybody in Greece know?
Old 11-27-2001, 12:13 PM

They claimed the 190Hp was at the wheels,on N/A mods.Kind of hard to believe!!
Old 11-28-2001, 01:07 AM

You know, though, it seems that I've seen discrepencies between dyno's all over the place. Take Random as a local example: they used some weird wheel (literally, bolted to the wheel) dyno, instead of rollers. They got extremely low numbers, compared to what we're used to seeing.

I'm not convinced as to the accuracy of these dyno's. That's why it seems to be better to measure the change in power between mods and not to just say "I dyno'd 210 HP!"

Acutally, the only real way to get accurate hp is through an accelerometer, and even then, you have to have very accurate weight and drag figures or the numbers mean bupkis.

There needs to be some SAE standard for dyno testing (maybe there is, I dunno) so all the figures we compare actually mean the same thing.

my 2 cents,
ac
Old 11-28-2001, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheuk and everyone else, About the horsepower in my country. Well, I don't know where every tunning shop does it. Mine was measured on a dynojet (or something like that). In fact I have to find some time to go to my mechanic and ask him some questions you all wanted to know. As soon as I get more info about the way my car was measured, and what corrections (?? If any was made ??, honestly I don't know) were made. Turboman will soon be home and I hope we shall use his influence to make all of you guys happy. For the emails asking me for more data, guys give me a time credit, and I promise as soon as I know what exactly was done to my motor I will inform all of you, and I will reply to all the mails I have, with detail, including dyno figures and so.

My whole intention from the beginning was to help all of you guys planning to mod your cars N/A using stock parts, so that you can get your hands on them easily, and not some kind of super-special stuff thats hard to find, and if something goes wrong you have to stay without your cars for a fair amount of time till you find a replacement. I hope that answers the reason why up to now I remained stock since money was not a problem.

Be patient, and Cheuk I promise I will do my best to find out what exactly my mechanic mesured and with what equipment.

PS: there are some pics from magazines of other custom jobs that were done by my mechanic (most of them N/A) that I want to post so you guys can see them and get new Ideas. Either me or Turboman will post them soon.

See ya all around!
Old 11-28-2001, 09:49 AM

Great, I hope that it was a Dynojet.
Champion Auto is the Dynojet distributor for Korea and I pretty much know that machine inside and out. Although I am familiar with, Bosch, Dyno Dynamics, Mustang and the Dyno Pack.

Dynojets will give numbers in all standards, will correct for atmospheric conditions... if you ask for it. It is also the least parasitic of the dynos... being the simplist.(15% losses on a manual, 20% losses on an automatic)

And the main reason it is so popular in the states is... With standard correction and adequet cool down periods, the results are repeatable within 1% from run to run and from MACHINE to MACHINE. That is, the same car run on a Dynojet 248C in Greece will put out the same numbers on a Dynojet 248C in Korea or the US.

It's not as good for ECU tuning but it is great for power measurements / documentation.