Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   High RPM? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/high-rpm-26113/)

Dmitry 01-31-2005 03:10 PM

High RPM?

How harmful is to drive on high RPM (5000-6500 RPM)?

PS. I use fully synthetic oil Castrol Magnatec 5W-40

Mad-Machine 01-31-2005 03:19 PM

how often and for how long a time? I doubt that 5000 will hurt the car too much.. My fiat 124 runs at 4000 just to do 70mph (Yes, that is in fifth too) so to do eighty I am really up there in RPMs.. that engine is 30 years old and was running great at way more than a 100,000 miles when I took the car apart

hamhead 01-31-2005 03:21 PM

It will put more wear and tear on the parts then if you drove normally. If your running stock power its not so bad, once you start modifying an engine and putting more air and fuel in the combustion chamber and getting it to rev faster, the parts are going to wear down. If you drove like that all the time, I would give your engine 30,000-50,000 miles before something fries. A comparitive Beta driven nicely but vigourously would probably last 120,000 miles.

Although I never understood why people would drive around like that all the time... If you run it to redline once or twice a day its not going to bother it as much. If you shift @ 5k everywhere or more than 50-60% of the time, thats when the engine life gets cut in half or worse.

The Beta has to have been built more resilient with the gearing that is put into it, otherwise Hyundai would not have put such aggressive gearing in. They would want to avoid low life engine casualty as much as possible. However, revving it to 3500 is more harmful to the engine then cruising @ 70 miles an hour at 3500.

CyberShark 01-31-2005 03:38 PM

If you're talking about it reving that high everyonce in a while (like doing quarter mile times or something similar to that) it shouldn't hurt..

KayJai 01-31-2005 03:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmitry)</div><div class='quotemain'>How harmful is to drive on high RPM (5000-6500 RPM)?

PS. I use fully synthetic oil Castrol Magnatec 5W-40</div>
You mean like driving it in 2nd gear at 100km/h?

Mad-Machine 01-31-2005 03:51 PM

people forget he does live in the Ukraine.. they might have faster highways there than here... or he travels any of the highspeed roads in europe.. (autobahn, autostrada, or autoroute). Personally, if you were travel often at those engine speeds, I would increase your maintance scheadule.. replacing the oil, filters, plugs, and wires more often than if you traveled with the tach down around 3500 or 4000roms all day.

Also, sustained highspeed running is not as hard on an engine as many quick "blasts" to redline.

draguntib 01-31-2005 03:54 PM

once i get on the turnpike i get up to about 80mph or so and im doing about 4200 rpm in my 01. i wouldnt think that it would hurt it to much as long as your not abusing it!

hamhead 01-31-2005 03:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'>people forget he does live in the Ukraine.. they might have faster highways there than here... or he travels any of the highspeed roads in europe.. (autobahn, autostrada, or autoroute). Personally, if you were travel often at those engine speeds, I would increase your maintance scheadule.. replacing the oil, filters, plugs, and wires more often than if you traveled with the tach down around 3500 or 4000roms all day.

Also, sustained highspeed running is not as hard on an engine as many quick "blasts" to redline.</div>

Points I've made. Definitely keep an eye on the oil and filters if your going to be running @ 90-100mph daily.

LarryMcFly 01-31-2005 04:15 PM

No problem. I putted over 90 000km in about 18 months on my engine. As long as you use good oil (Motul rocks) and that you don't downshift without rev matching, you should be fine. I drive my car between 4000-7000rpm for hours on the week-ends when I go to the track. Installing a lightweigth flywheel, UDP,....will help to reduce stress. The important factor is maintenance (oil sytem, coolant systems,...)and smooth driving.

bluetibbay 01-31-2005 04:22 PM

How bad is it to redline it at all? I rarely ever go above 4k RPM's for fear I'll mess something up rolleyes.gif