Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Hey Decker

Old 05-04-2002, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Decker

Hey, I read that you recently took out the stock IM. I will take mine out soon and want to know if there is any parts I should give a special attention to (like fragile or dangerous part). Other than that, I'm pretty sure that it is just taking off hose and screws, right?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2002, 04:31 PM

ok, the biggest thing you have to worry about is not breaking the beer....wait oh you mean on the car wink hhehe

yeah the injectors. those suckers are fragile.
Don't light a smoke and make sure your negative battery terminal is disconnected. Cause your going to be dumping fuel draining the fuel rail. Apart from that just do what I was told to do. When you take **** off the stock IM you need to put it on the BIM one piece at a time. Don't have a pile of pieces and then try to put it back together. hehe.

Apart from that. Its actually really simple. You will have to jack the car up to get underneat to get the two bolts that attach the IMbracket to the block....and well thats about it.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:29 PM

In this picture, there are 9 holes where the bolts go in. In your post, you said that I have to jack the car up, and take off bolts that hold IM bracket. So does it mean that there are total of 11 bolts to take off in order to take off IM from the car (excluding all those hoses)?
By the way, do I really need to jack the car up, or is it possible to take those 2 bolts without doing it?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2002, 03:25 AM

well there's two bolts that hold the middle of the IM to the bracket, and two bolts that hold the braket to the engine block. You have to remove the two that hold the IM to the bracket, but you can just loosen the ones that hold it to the block. And yeah your going to have to jack up your car unless your arm is 5'long wink
Old 05-06-2002, 05:27 AM

Decker, Did you reuse the IM gasket? And what refrence did you use to see how much should be ported from the runners?
Old 05-06-2002, 10:06 PM

i re-used the IM gasket as it was in pristene condition. I told yellowtib to get a spare, just incase, but the people at the hyundai dealership didn't know that the IM needed a gasket. Oh well, anyway, stayed onthe block the whole time. Worked great wink

As for porting the runners, onpol did these, but you'd probably go with the openings on the block.
as for doing it yourself? The only way I would think about doing them(to portmatch) is to get some double sticky tape, cover the IM runners and put the IM back on gently, take it off and look at the double sticky tape. It'll show you where it made contact with metal and where it didn't. Grind away what hasn't been touched by metal. You might want to remove the tape, and re-do a couple times to make sure your getting there. After its all done, remove all tape and buff the runners. But once again, unless your proficient, i'd have onpol do this. Its cheap compared to the amount of bs you'd go through if you make a mistake.

oh and silvertibby, its 13 bolts, 9 for the IM itself, 2 for the imbracket and 2 on the engine block for the IM bracket(just loosen these).

anyway, my 2c