Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Help What To Inspect On Engine?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a 02 elantra when i got it the belts where off, and the owner told me it needed a new motor. I bought a motor to swap but i got screwed over since new engine was in worst shape. i took off the head and would like to know what i should inspect for? i cranked the block manually and it seems its fine, i also cranked the head manually and valves seem to move freely. The head gasket looks in place, and there was no water in the block. i was thinking maybe the mechanic was trying to screw the guy over so he took all the belts and pullies off. before i put it all together and install it in the car what should i inspect for? i can get pics if needed...
BTW i have done a few swaps but i have never rebuilt an engine, any helpful info is appreciated
-thanks guys
Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Having never (yet thank God) had to roll the dice on a used engine, and based on general engine knowledge, I give you my $0.02. Don't be surprised if someone else here chimes in with a better way.

Before you pull the engine apart, do a compression test and a leakdown check . . . next time you buy an engine. Head gaskets are pretty expensive or I'd say to put it back together real quick to do those 2 checks because they can tell you so much about your engine.

To get a VERY rough idea of valve sealing, you might try this: Turn the assembled head upside-down on a bench and fill the combustion chambers with water or maybe water mixed with a drop of dish soap to help it sneak through the smaller passages. If you get any drips at all, you should be getting another head or replacing/reworking valves or valve seats. If it doesn't drip (bad leak), the cams turn smoothly, and the valves look like they are all getting good contact with their seats, you might just be in good shape. An engine will run with a small leak on the valves, but it may run poorly. A gross leak obviously won't let it run very well if at all.

A new timing belt is a great idea, as is a new water pump, "while you're in there". If the plugs look worn replace them and then see if it runs.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Compression test is the best way to tell motor condition. If its not running you need to pull it apart. Look for grooves in the cylinder wall, burnt valves, buildup, heat spots (discoloration, warping)